Another new model from Athearn

Started by ns_7011, November 19, 2007, 07:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ns_7011

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=sd60+ATHG&CatID=THLD&NYA=1

Heheh, SD60M's and SD60I's friends... No NS yet, but I'd say before too long they'll do a second run with NS, although the F units are already available, 4271 and 4275, although the FB unit isn't powered. I thought about this the other day, I've noticed Athearn is doing shells from railpower, the SD40, 50, 60, 70M, etc. so I wonder if this means C32-8's, C30-7's, SD90MACs, and all of the other shells. One can only hope...
EMD all the way.

scooter3798

They had the preproduction 60's at the national show in Detroit this summer. Even with most of the parts off of them they still looked pretty sweet. Much better than the current Proto SD60M offering. Also they are brand new locos, not supped up Railpower shells like the GP40X, 35 and SD40, 38's. Although I do wish that they would bring out the C32-8, better yet I wish Atlas would do a C39-8, that's what I want for Christmas!

Scooter

stillbre

Athearn announced the SD60I/M a couple months ago, LaHarbra meet maybe?  First run will be Conrail and 2-window versions of the BN and UP.  I'm sure a NS and NS patch as well as CSX will follow shortly.  I've heard they plan to do the 3-window cab as well.  From what I've heard they will also be the last new release from the Athearn Genesis line.  The RTR line has caught the Genesis line in terms of quality so there's no need for it.  The Genesis line will still include freight cars and F-units though.
As far as Rail Power remakes, the CF7, SD38, SD40, GP40X, and GP35 are the only ones to use RPP tooling.  The SD45-2, SD50, SD60, and SD70 were all new tooling.  I'm not sure what the up-coming SD45 will be yet as I've not seen photos.  There's not much left out of the RPP line that I'd like to see get a rebirth.  Most everything has been done, and done better than what Athearn could get out of the old RPP shells.  The C32-8 and SD80/90 would be the only two shells that I think should be re-done.  The Kato SD80/90 isn't bad but I think Athearn could top it.  The C32-8 though I would rather have as a C39-8.  I'm not sure why they did the C32 instead of the C39 to begin with but there would be a bigger market for a C39.
I was disappointed to see that the NS executive F-units were done in the RTR line which means they are just a rehash of the 1960s-era F7 shell.  If they had done them in the Genesis line I would have pre-ordered a set.
Needless to say though, Athearn has been doing us NS modelers right lately.  Just wish my wallet could keep up.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

Hoydie17

I put 2 of the undecorated "CR versions" on order a few weeks ago, planning to paint them in CSX YN3 colors. I could have waited until they did it themselves, but why?  Of course, I just bought a T55 ES44DC "GEVO" in BNSF colors, which is about to get stripped and painted into CSX YN3 colors as well.

Also, keep an eye out for Athearn's new 57' 3-unit Spine Car sets.  I'd expect an announcement sometime in January, or maybe February. 

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

stillbre

They made the announcement a coule weeks ago at Naperville.  Also had preproduction samples.  Looked really good.  Gonna have to get me several sets.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

scooter3798

From what I have heard the SD45 is going to be a supped up Railpower shell. They are however going to offer it in a high hood version for the NW and SOU models. As far as the Spine cars, I can't wait to see them. If they are anything like the new Maxi I well cars they are going to be something else! I am just glad that someone is doing a new spine car period at this point though. Also speaking of the Tower 55 GE's, does anybody have any, and if so have you had any problems with them yet? I have one of the sound equipped ones, and I have had nothing but problems with it so far. It is from the first run that they did, supposedly the second run was fixed, can anyone vouch for this?

Scooter

Hoydie17

I've heard of a few problems with the Tower 55 GEVOs out of the first run, particularly regarding sound and lights.  I seem to recall there's a fix for it though, maybe a factory reset or something like that on the decoder. 

Tell me what the problem is, and I'll check with a friend who has a couple and see what he did with them, he loves his, said after he made the "quick fix", they work great since.

Sean

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

ns_7011

How much do these usually run for? Any in NS yet?
EMD all the way.

stillbre

Best price I've found was $159 but I haven't looked too hard.  I'm cutting off my modeling era before the GEVOs arrived.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

ns_7011

That's not too bad I suppose. One ES40 wouldn't hurt too much, I'm modern anyway. Where did you see it for $159?
EMD all the way.

Hoydie17

Quote from: ns_7011 on November 24, 2007, 01:28:16 PM
That's not too bad I suppose. One ES40 wouldn't hurt too much, I'm modern anyway. Where did you see it for $159?

Keep in mind that to this point, Tower 55 (soon to be renamed) has only produced ES44DC GEVOs in BNSF, UP and about half a dozen "fantasy" schemes.  In order to find one in NS, you'll have to figure out if UP or BNSF has closer configurations, strip it down, and paint it into NS colors.  (or lack thereof)

The prospectus for them ever producing a model painted into an Eastern Road is questionable at best.  He's now stopped doing GEVOs and moved on to doing SD70ACe's, but once again will be starting with UP and BNSF (including the UP "Heritage" schemes).  If he takes a financial licking from the SD70ACe's like he did the GEVOs, I'll be surprised if he can muster up the resources to do the BNSF, much less the Eastern or Canadian Roads. 

He promises to resume making the GEVOs after he gets the ACes out the door, but he's promised several times to have Eastern Roads represented by now, and we still haven't seen them.  Given his inability to meet any of his self imposed deadlines, I'd be surprised if he gets the UP ACe's fully produced by the end of 2008. 

I've got 3 Tower 55 BNSF GEVOs that I'm preparing to strip down and paint into YN3 colors, after I move the numberboards from the top of the cab down to the nose of course.   That is likely to be the only way you'll be able to see a GEVO or ACe done for CSX, NS or CN/CP.  Unless of course Athearn steps up to the plate and does them in the Genesis line. 

ns_7011

Personally I'd look for Atlas to beat anyone to the punch with the ES44 series, but I'd like to see an  Athearn SD70ACe or ES44. Speaking of ES44, I saw 3 new CSX ES44AC's in Russel, KY today.
EMD all the way.

scooter3798

While I would like to see Atlas do the locos, I don't think that they will beat Athearn to the new stuff. It seems that since Athearn was bought out by Horizon that no one can touch them as far as coming out with new stuff, they have some pretty deep pockets now. While I think that Atlas puts out a better product, I just don't see them putting up too much of a fight for the new locos, then again I could be wrong. They do seem to favor GE, so the Gevo's would fit with their current tastes, however I would rather see a C39-8 or a C36-7 from Atlas, although I definetly won't hold my breath on the C36! I think that the EMD products would be a logical fit in the Athearn line though. I would have to think that it won't be too long before they come out with the flared 70 series locos either. I also wouldn't count Kato out completely, they did a fantastic job on the AC4400CW a couple of years ago, and I think that either of the builders new offerings could be possibilities for them.

Scooter

ns_7011

Ahh it's hard to tell, Athearn is doing the new CSX SD70MAC renumbers from where they renumbered the 70's from 7XX series to 45XX series.
EMD all the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk