Author Topic: Looking to become an engineer...  (Read 1071 times)

rollindown75

Looking to become an engineer...
« on: September 14, 2007, 11:55:58 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the group. Thought it would be an excellent place to bring up some questions i had in mind. I'm one day looking to becoming an locomotive engineer. Currently, I'm working in a broadcast company that i have been working with for about 15 years. I plan to ride it out for about another 10 years or so. Afterwards, I'd like to work about 5-8 years in the railroad industry. Talking with a few engineers, i was told if you are married, the railroad is not for you. Long days and long hours, Always gone and have been known to break up happy households. That's why i choose to do it as a second career. I'm happily married and would love to stay that way. But? I would love to pursue something that i've always wanted to do. I'm wondering if anyone could give any kind of advice or suggestions for someone that would be interested in becoming a locomotive engineer.
Thanks,

Offline GP30Rider

• Inactives
  • Old Head
Re: Looking to become an engineer...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »
Find a shortline that might give you an opportunity, or give up your social life working for a Class One.  Most of the children born to Class One engineers and conductors were born while daddy was on the road.   They are not kidding when they say you will be out of the house for the next 20 years.  That might be a good thing for some, but if you have a wife that wants to see you on a regular basis, forget it. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 06:02:58 PM by GP30Rider »

TB4JY

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 09:13:44 PM »
Oh come on. :D  Working on a class one isn't that bad.  Yes your gone allot, but sometimes that's a good thing.  I been working on a class 1 for 10 years, and I was home for both of my kids being born.  I know of no one I work with that has not been home for their kids birth.  FMLA! 

I know for a fact that NS loves to hire a man with a family.  If you have a family, then you need to work to support that family and NS loves that.

But back to the original post.....

If you want to work as a engineer on NS, you got to start off as a conductor.  When your division needs engineers, you would be forced to engineer school in seniority order (does not apply to pre-1985 employees).  If that's something you want to do, go to the NS web-site.  I believe you apply online these days.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Offline J-man

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:41:55 PM »
Wanting to work 5-8 years in the railroad industry may allow you to become, at some point, an engineer.  However, as Bob said, you're going to have to start off as a conductor.  My cousin has been out here almost 10 years and just recently got marked up as an engineer. 

Now in some locations, it may not take 10 years, but then again, it might.  Aside from being a temporary engineer ( while the real one is down below taking a leak ),  you'll have to start from the ground up...literally.
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

anything