Cab Ride From Hell -- BNSF Cornfield Meet on Tape

Started by Wanderer, May 24, 2007, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

This one is self-explanitory. I guess the throttle jockey in the Dash 9 forgot what red means. If you watch the signal of the train that you are "riding" just before he gets to the switch, you see it drop to a Stop indication because the opposing train ran his red board. Hang onto your seat, because this is going to hurt...a lot...

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/leoncrooks/?action=view&current=Trainmeet.flv

NW_611

Good grief! That looks bad---do we know if everyone made it out OK?

Wanderer

Quote from: NW_611 on May 24, 2007, 12:28:08 PM

The crew in the train that ran the signal got thrown around pretty nicely, but were fine thanks to the safety cab. The crew with which the video was on board with did a swan dive off the side of the engine before impact. A couple broken ribs, and a displaced lumbar disc from landing in the field...but it beats what would have happened had they stayed in the cab...ride on your side anyone???

Michael Knight

Hoydie17

Quote from: Wanderer on May 24, 2007, 12:30:54 PM

The crew in the train that ran the signal got thrown around pretty nicely, but were fine thanks to the safety cab. The crew with which the video was on board with did a swan dive off the side of the engine before impact. A couple broken ribs, and a displaced lumbar disc from landing in the field...but it beats what would have happened had they stayed in the cab...ride on your side anyone???

Other way around, crew on the "mainline" train fell asleep without ensuring the train being completely stopped and it crept passed the block limit.  They woke up just in time to jump, and the crew on the "siding" train rode out the wreck.
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Wanderer

Quote from: Hoydie17 on May 24, 2007, 01:33:09 PM
Quote from: Wanderer on May 24, 2007, 12:30:54 PM

Other way around, crew on the "mainline" train fell asleep without ensuring the train being completely stopped and it crept passed the block limit.  They woke up just in time to jump, and the crew on the "siding" train rode out the wreck.

Dyslexic be can I, Sorry.

E.M. Bell

Thats some loose railroading right there...wow.. That left me sweating even after I watched it the 18th time.

When I was working out of Knoxville, I found it to be rather un-nerving to be sitting there on the NS main at City yard or where ever, waiting to cross over to the K&A, and having a NS train bearing down on you, knowing that something like that could happen.

anymore details about the aftermath?
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nscnotp1

That is one nightmare that I wouldn't want to be in.   :o

Bet the crew of the other train that fouled the block are no longer BNSF employeed.  :(   

Hoydie17

Quote from: BuddyBurton on May 24, 2007, 07:27:10 PM
Bet the crew of the other train that fouled the block are no longer BNSF employeed.  :(   

You'd be surprised, I know a guy personally who's run 4 stop signals and twice rear-ended another train. 

Guess what, he's still working. 

Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Khalua10

wow...if you watch just before they collide you can see one of the crew of the train youre not riding with bail off
My Rail Pictures at
JREB gallery - http://jreb.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=9641
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
GE
Dustin Grizzle

J-man

God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

TRNBUF

You almost have to watch it about 10 or more times to catch everything happening.  Did we ever figure out where that was at? 

Wanderer

After digging further...

Kasbit, California was the site of the wreck. All five involved crew members reported injuries, and the engineer on the train that fouled the block tested positive for CDS (Controlled Dangerous Substance, Non Perscription).

Backyard

:-X The link, has gone 404, the page says the file no longer exists.

I new that would happen...
Backyard/Allen

nscnotp1

Here is a link to a photo of one of the units involved in that crash:

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/attachment.php?attachmentid=4021&d=1180062040

scooter3798

Here are some shots of two of the units involved that I came across. That must have been a whale of a ride if the one crew did in fact ride it out.

http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=45962

http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=45963

Scooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk