NS OCS 951 chase Friday 3/30/07

Started by gmengineer, April 01, 2007, 04:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmengineer

Hello all James Jackson here
I'm new to Jreb and slowly figuring out how copy URL's but I think I figured it out.
This past Friday myself and a few other raifans from the Southeast went out in search of  the NS 951 Masters Golf Tournament special against the weather man's forecast of clouds and showers.  Upon arriving at Vaucluse, SC we learned that the 951 was stopped at Summit, SC because a shifted lumber load on a freight they were meeting had the siding and 951's route fouled.  The hour and a half delay was enough to allow for the clouds to dissipate rendering spectacular afternoon light for the chase from Vaucluse, SC to Augusta.

The first sighting of the 951 was from across an old recreation Lake on the northern fringe of  the defunct Avondale Mills at Vaucluse, SC.

Next the 951 passes by the site in Graniteville, SC where a horrific wreck occured a few years back involving a ruptured chlorine tank .

At this point the 951 has crossed the Savannah River bridge and passed through the Levee wall directly into the middle of 6th street for the continuous mile of street running.

Halfway down sixth street the scene becomes residential and no trip is complete without a few fellow fans in the frame.

And lastly a nicely lit roster of the 4270 as it reduced to 25 mph through Graniteville.

It was a day of great fanning and and a reunion of  old friends.
My hat is off to the people of NS for making scenes like these possible again.

James Jackson
Lula, GA 

nscnotp1

James:

What a great way to introduce yourself to our forums than with a set of wonderful shots of the Master's OCS train. Those street-running shots are great.

Great work, James and welcome to the JREB NS Discussion Forums.

E.M. Bell

Excellent pics  James! I had no idea NS had that kind of street running anywhere nowdays. Is that line a branch, or does it see regular use?
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Junior

I have not seen anyone else ask this yet.  How did the horn sound?  Was it loud and in tune?  Does anyone know the modelof horn and is it correct for this engine?

Nice shots

Junior

gmengineer

Posted by: E.M. Bell  

Excellent pics  James! I had no idea NS had that kind of street running anywhere nowdays. Is that line a branch, or does it see regular use

Believe it or not NS runs at least four trains a day right down 6th street. It is the main line between Augusta and Columbia, SC

Posted on: Today at 09:44:34 pmPosted by: Junior

I have not seen anyone else ask this yet.  How did the horn sound?  Was it loud and in tune?  Does anyone know the modelof horn and is it correct for this engine?

The horn was not a Southern classic sound.
It sounded pretty vanilla and very loud up close. It's not high pitch like the older Southern units nor does it sound like the foghorns on the new GEVO's.  I had to cover my ears at times while they were blasting their way through
the street.

JJ

E.M. Bell

Quote from: Junior on April 01, 2007, 10:44:34 PM
I have not seen anyone else ask this yet.  How did the horn sound?  Was it loud and in tune?  Does anyone know the modelof horn and is it correct for this engine?

Nice shots

Junior

I had that conversation with CT a few nights ago, and after seeing a picture today, I would have to agree that the A unit has a run of the mill K5LA. Most all of the E's and F' that SR had in regular service back in the day had M5's..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk