Author Topic: Introduce Yourself, Round Two!  (Read 44726 times)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The exhaulted grand poobah
Introduce Yourself, Round Two!
« on: January 17, 2007, 07:25:36 PM »
We had a long running thread where new members could introduce themselves, but somehow it seems to have gotten zapped when we made the software upgrade a few months ago.  Everyone please feel free to introduce themselves here in this thread..new members, old members. A lot of people seem to use "screen names" and dont sign their post. so this is a good chance for everyone to get to know each other even better, unless your hiding from someone  :D

If you ever pondered who was behind Jreb.org, our crew page is located here.  http://jreb.org/meetthecrew/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:27:08 PM by Forum Admin »

The JREB.org team

cyclonetrain

Re: Introduce Yourself, Round Two!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:59 PM »
Hey, I'm Glenn Davis, From Downers Grove, IL.

nscnotp1

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
Buddy Burton from Nicholasville, KY here. I am the webmaster of NORFOLK SOUTHERN photo gallery-The Central Division in the Bluegrass area of Kentucky.

Offline butch

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:47:45 PM »
Butch Adkins, Lexington  KY

I am nearing the end of an odyssey to locate and visit the sites of all of the railroad tunnels that have been in Kentucky.  I have less than ten to go out of the 170 that I know about.
Butch Adkins
butch@email.uky.edu

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Tristan Garrett

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 04:35:44 AM »
Hey, why not. Some of you may know me. My name is Tristan Garrett, but most people call me Tristan. I'm from Downers Grove, IL, proud of my town, enjoy dropping obscure movie quotes into otherwise innocuous conversation, and other boring things that nobody cares about. I have absolutely NO creativity when it comes to screen names, so that's why my screen name is also my real name. That's pretty much it.

Yeah... move right along, nothing to see here....

TG

Offline stillbre

• Old Head
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:10:09 AM »
My name is Josh Blevins from Charlotte NC.  Resident NS Piedmont Division representative.  Prototype modeler and photographer.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

B7BBQ

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm Hunter Williams of High Point, NC.

Offline NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Old Head
Introduce Yourself, Round Two! / Back
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:26:34 AM »
Not a bad idea . . . . I'm from near Muncie, Indiana (the small town of Yorktown, to be precise).  I have the Norfolk Southern Muncie-to-Frankfort line in the back yard.  Literally!  It's 142 feet out to the tracks from the deck.  NS #174 and 1-2 locals came by this morning already.

BTW, during the Christmas and New Year's holidays, we put a train-related lighted display in the backyard for the crews that roll past. 

Eight years ago we added onto the house so I had a room for an HO-scale layout of the CNO&TP.  I've put some pics on the Modeler's Forum.  My family has enjoyed trips to central KY to take pictures for modeling purposes.  We "vacationed" in Chattanooga this past summer to get photographs of the DeButts Yard facility, as that is an area I haven't completed on my layout.

Oh yes, my name is Richard Seymour and I'm an Associate Professor at Ball State University.

scooter3798

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 12:12:30 PM »
I am Scooter Hovanec. I'm from Johnstown, PA, the west end of the ex Pennsy grade over the Alleghenys to Altoona. I am right next to CSX's bustling S&C Subdivision in town (2 trains a day), and about 3 miles from the NS main, which usually sees well over 100 CW40-9's a day, and almost nothing else. I am more of a CSX fan but with NS being so close I have always had an interest in it as well. I also enjoy model railroading, stock car racing (not just NASCAR) and hockey. I really enjoy the great group that we have here on JREB and I just want to thank every one for making it that way.

Offline Batman

• Old Head
    • http://www.nslocos.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 09:01:02 PM »

my name is george , i`m unemployed , and i live with my parents.

Offline cmherndon

• Anti-Phoamer
  • Old Head
    • http://www.cmherndon.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 10:17:44 PM »
Quote from: nsrayman
my name is george , i`m unemployed , and i live with my parents.

We have a Seinfeld fan among us...   :D
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

gcd

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 07:31:13 PM »
Hi, I am Gerry Durand retired in 93. All of my 32 years in the computer side of the railroad.
Hope to see old friends on the board.

Jack

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »
My name is Jack Toomey.  I live in the upper part of Montgomery County, Md.  I live about thirty five miles NW of Washington, DC and about thirty miles SE of Harpers Ferry, WV. 

TRNBUF

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 09:43:53 PM »
Hey all,
    My name is Mike Kirsch, I'm from Nashville, IL, a small town of 3200 in Southern, IL.   I'm about 20 miles from the NS Illinois Division/St. Louis District line.  As you will see most of my photos come from Centralia, IL where I spend most of my "train hunting" .   Centralia is a hotspot to me, it is where the NS, BNSF, and CN all come together.  If I want to catch any of that yellow stuff I head over to Salem, IL and Mt. Vernon, IL.

I have lived in Southern Illinois for all 31 years of my life. I am happily married to a wonderful woman for over 7 years we have a 1 year old Son named Austin, we call him Little "A" and he is a joy to our life.  Maybe he will follow in my footsteps and be a railfan as well.  Who doesn't like trains????? ;D

Finally, feel free to checkout my photos at the links below, any comments are welcomed. ;)

Be Safe,
~Mike

phil

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
HI
I am Phil and I am near Valdosta, GA. NS fan!
Lets chat.
ptrain8@gmail.com

Ron Plichta

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »
I'm Ron and I'm pretty new to Norfolk Southern.   I grew up in Baltimore and had a lot of exposure to the B&O and Western Maryland in the late 60s/early 70s.  I've been interested in model railroading since 1993 and was planning to model the WM until I left the hobby about a year ago.  I just got back into it just recently and decided to try NS since there's a lot more NS stuff available in N scale compared to WM.  And I like the classic looks of basic black (kind of like the WM in its pre-Circus era).  Plus, I like many of the features of modern railraoding such as intermodal freight.

I live in Fairfax, Virginia and work for the Department of the Army as a civilian.  I'm also a retired Army Reservist.  I'm married with two kids.  My wife is a "Beltway Bandit" and an Iraqi Freedom veteran.  I have two kids.  My 12-year-old son is interested in helping me with my new railroad adventures as long as I get something UP-related.

I just joined Northern Virginia NTRAK and plan to build an N scale module for now since I don't have the time, space or patience for a home layout.  Meanwhile, I'm in the process of acquiring NS motive power and related rolling stock.

screamingeagle101

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 08:09:51 PM »
Hi all,
     My name is Tim.  I live about 3 miles from the old PRR Mainline in Southwestern Pa.  I really see a lot of NS action, mostly intermodal and stack trains.  I also get to see alot of the heavy freights on the Conemaugh Line, about 20 minute drive from me.  I'm starting to fan the Mon Line.  I love to see the coal trains.  NS seems to run alot of different power on the Mon Line and I get to see the new hoppers too.  Looking forward to being here and participating. :)

Offline Chris7092

• Inactives
  • Marked up
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 05:06:25 PM »
Hello, my name is Chris Wehman, and I currently reside in a little town called Nashville, TN.  I'm a senior Business Management and Marketing student at David Lipscomb University.  Before I moved here, I spent my first 18 years in Bryan, OH, on the NS Chicago Line.  In May, I will be moving to Ft. Wayne, IN to work for Triple Crown Services.  I'm glad to be on this board, as it's provided me with some very useful and entertaining NS info.

Chris
K8CRQ

R Federle

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 08:55:05 PM »
Hello, I am a new member. Formerly from Hamilton Ohio. Living in Louisiana since 78. Employed as Chief Engineer in maritime industry. Longtime fan of Southern Rwy and now NS. Also a fan of CSX and Chessie predecessors. Like railfanning when I can and modeling. Also like photography. Glad to be here.

Robert Federle

Offline Hoydie17

• Anti-Phoamer
  • Old Head
  • The Godfather
    • http://www.hoydie17.com
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 10:52:37 PM »
Welcome to the club Robert, we'd love to see some of the photography you have to offer from the Gulf Coast area. 

There are plenty of folks here to learn from and interact with, never hestitate to ask for info, whether travelling out of your area, or just railroad info in general.   

We're not experts, but we can find the people who are!  ;)

Sean
JREB Admin
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

R Federle

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 11:03:01 PM »
Thank yoy Sean,

I dont really have a lot of pics from the area but I may scrounge up a few Louisiana and Delt shots. I do have (somewhere) several shots of former NS B23-7's stored at the L&D Shops in New Iberia La. awaiting export to Mexico. These shots would have been taken around 1997 or early 98. I am presently offshore but when I get in I will see if I can dig those up and post them.

Again thank you for the welcome note. Dont know how much I will have to offer but we'll see. I do hope to learn though.

have a good evening.

Robert

Offline Hoydie17

• Anti-Phoamer
  • Old Head
  • The Godfather
    • http://www.hoydie17.com
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 11:16:33 PM »
Anytime you can participate it's always welcome.

Offshore eh, I've got 10 years in the Navy behind me, including 6 1/2 at sea, first tour on an amphibious assault ship, tour after that on a pair of destroyers. 
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

R Federle

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 11:38:30 PM »
Thanks again Sean,

I am Chief Engineer (and have been in the business 29 years) aboard a Diving Support Vessel. I have not worked "Deep Sea" but on vessels to 6000 tons. I have a license for unlimited horsepower (Diesel and Gas Turbine) although I have yet to get the gas turbine experience. I stated in an earlier post regarding 20+ years with EMD's. I also have 5+ years with Ruston Paxman (English Electric Co.), 2 years with Caterpillar 3600 Series engines. Still cant beat the EMD though.

I was just reading some of the posts about the "Special Agent" (railroad police). In at least one of the posts it is no wonder the police come off like they do. If I was exposed to that type of discussion I would have an attitude too. Someone said (might have been you) the railroad police seem better at approaching people than the local police. I believe that to be true. I have had alot of "local police" as friends and have ridden with them on patrols and quite frequently they encounter bad situations. I think, therefore they tend to keep their guard up more so.

The most recent experience I have had was in New Iberia Louisianawith a local officer. I was approached while getting ready to take a photo and he asked what I was doing. I told him it was a hobby of I have been a railfan for years. He just kind of chuckled and said "dont get hurt" and left.

I have been back and forth between Louisiana and Hamilton Ohio checking on elderly parents quite a bit the last year and things have taken a back seat (other than what I can access out here). I'll see what I can find to post.

Thanks again.

Robert

NS_Pitt_division

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 08:02:30 AM »
Hey all, I'm Mike Huhn from Pittsburgh, PA, proudly rep'n the NS Pittsburgh Division (hence "NS_Pitt_division")! I've been a huge Conrail fan since my younger days and was a bit saddened when I first learned CR was bought/split by CSX and NS. And since NS took most of it (and most of the Conrail engines), I've been a NS fan since!

Offline Jimmie

• Inactives
  • Extra Board
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 06:15:40 PM »
Howdy, Y'all.  I'm Jimmie Fisher in Alexander, NC (about 20 miles north of Asheville).  I've always liked trains and railroads, but have been railfanning seriously only about 3 or 4 years, so I have a lot to learn.   I'm especially interested in intermodal trains and operations, probably because there are no intermodal trains or operations near me.  I have a small HO layout, freelance modern era freight.  Yesterday, I bought my first scanner and am learning how to use it.  Jimmie.
Jimmie Fisher