Author Topic: Forum Spam  (Read 1655 times)

Offline E. Hodgson

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
Forum Spam
« on: September 05, 2017, 05:01:22 PM »
I have been receiving a lot of spammers recently almost all get caught by the spam filters. A few have been using a new exploit and get through, I apologize if they are posting vulgar I try to delete and ban as soon as I see them. If anyone happens to see the post feel free to report the post to alert me to take care of them. I was patiently waiting for a patch to fix the exploit but may have to plug the hole myself this weekend if all else fails.

Eric

Offline NSyorktown

• Global Moderator
  • Old Head
Re: Forum Spam
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:19:45 AM »
All of us on public forums like JREB know that our favorite site(s) will a target of the spam-crowd, either sooner or later.  No way to avoid it.  I know my name or ID was used to spread things in the past on several websites, and everyone (knowing me) just ignored it and moved on.  We'll be able to do the same thing here. 

That said, thanks for your continued monitoring . . . . it's appreciated. 

Rich
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:17:50 PM by NSyorktown »

Offline E. Hodgson

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
Re: Forum Spam
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
It's been a problem in the past here as well, there are just several new exploits being used currently. The spam filter blocks the known spammers automatically but recently they have been using guest accounts to post that are "disabled" The issue with ignoring is the post generally have links and photos which use of resources on the server that can potentially cause slower page loss down the road. I try to keep up with deleting them to ensure the site runs smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro