Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cleaning unwanted stuff out of a picture  (Read 160 times)

Offline Bill Richardson

• Old Head
Cleaning unwanted stuff out of a picture
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:22:23 PM »
     I'm sure many people on this forum know a lot about editing pictures in various ways, but there are probably some who haven't done much with that, other than basic editing such as cropping, making a photo lighter or darker, and maybe resizing.  Some people might not do anything to them.  I have a couple old friends who don't do any of that.  They will email a 7 meg photo just like it came out of the camera, and sometimes it will be turned wrong.  One said he isn't going to mess with editing pictures; doesn't know anything about it, and doesn't want to.

This post is about cleaning out unwanted "junk" in a photo, such as overhead power lines in particular, and also a fence in this example.

100b4712b---CEFX-121---SD9043MAC--Dvlle--3-19-15--800px by Bill Richardson, on Flickr

This train sneaked up on me at the Danville yard in 2015.  Yes, they can sometimes sneak up.  I was looking the other way, waiting for something, and happened to look around and saw this maroon engine zooming toward me.  I was near the tracks, behind a fence.  I already had my camera set on "sport" for motion, and quickly set it on "burst mode" and grabbed three photos as soon as I could.  It was an SD90.  I usually hear engines coming because they are usually a little noisy--deep vibrations.  I didn't hear this one until it got near.  It was moving on.

This photo is the 3rd one I "grabbed".  As you can see, there are overhead wires, which are common at this yard.  They are in about every photo.  There is also a fence in this one.  I sometimes remove overhead wires from a photo by using the clone tool.  Different photo editing programs have different names for this tool.  I call it the clone tool regardless.  That's what it does.  In the case of wires, you just copy some sky and/or clouds over the wires.  It is like painting--paint over the wires with some blue, or some white for clouds--whatever it needs to get the job done.

The next photo shows the same scene with the wires removed--covered over actually.

100b4712c---CEFX-121---SD9043MAC--Dvlle--3-19-15--800px by Bill Richardson, on Flickr

This last photo shows the same scene with the pole removed, and the fence.  I wanted to see how it would look without that fence.  I really didn't want it in the picture.

100b4712d---CEFX-121---SD9043MAC--Dvlle--3-19-15--687px by Bill Richardson, on Flickr

So there it is--removing some unwanted stuff from a picture.  It isn't hard really, just takes some time, and being careful when up close to something you don't want to paint on, like right up against an engine.  I had to do it on this one.

Windows paint might have this clone feature.  I haven't checked.  I use Ulead PhotoImpact, the year 2000 version.  I also have Photoshop Elements, a 2004 edition I think.  I tend to use Ulead most of the time, for basic editing, and for some manipulation such as shown here.  Photoshop has some tools that work better for me for some situations, although PhotoImpact is an extensive editing program.  I haven't learned near what it can do.  I am learning Photoshop a little, and some things work better for me.  I thought this post might be of interest to some people.  There are a lot of overhead wires out there cluttering up pictures.  I better get this on before it times out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:28:07 PM by Bill Richardson »

Offline jbm37379

• Old Head
Re: Cleaning unwanted stuff out of a picture
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
That's very interesting. I have done played with contrast, brightness, saturation,etc but never removing anything. I like the idea-I have some photos I would like to try that to. IS photoshop the best program for that in your opinion?

Offline Bill Richardson

• Old Head
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
   I have only two programs that I can do that with--Photoshop Elements, and Ulead PhotoImpact.  The latter one is the one I use most.  I have done it with both.  Either one is good for that.  Those are the only ones I have had experience with, except the old Adobe Photodeluxe, and I used it very little, for basic editing.  I don't know if Windows Paint has that capability--haven't checked.  There are probably several programs you could use for this.  There is an "open source" photo editing program called "Gimp" that you can download for free.  I haven't seen it or used it, but from what I read, it is an extensive photo editing program.

The PhotoImpact program I have came with a scanner I bought in year 2000.   I found the Photoshop Elements program at a Goodwill, I think, a few years ago.  It is a 2004 version, or 2002, but still very good.  Nothing wrong with older stuff, unless "progress" forces it to become obsolete.  I tinkered with the Photoshop program a little bit after I bought it, but pretty much ignored it for some time, and continued using PhotoImpact.  Several months ago, I started trying to learn more about Photoshop.  I still don't do much with it, but it has some features that help me a little more with fixing some photos.  I'd like to learn a lot about it, but there is a lot to it, and it is not easy remembering all that.  I'm still more at a basic level with regard to Photoshop.

I just checked "Paint" on my computer, and didn't find any "clone" type tool.

Here is a link to a page with a list of free photo editing programs:
https://www.thoughtco.com/best-free-photo-editors-for-windows-1702523

This might help.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:28:09 PM by Bill Richardson »

Offline jbm37379

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:14:19 AM »
I have Faststone and it does have a clone and heal function but I haven't ever used it. I guess when I have some time(yeah-maybe 3 years from now) I'll mess around with it. Might even download GIMP or Photoscape just for giggles.