Author Topic: The Finger Lakes Railway heritage fleet  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
The Finger Lakes Railway heritage fleet
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »
Before NS or UP had their heritage units, the Finger Lakes Railway had their heritage fleet in upstate NY. I spent a couple days with them last week.

Local HG2 at the Lakemont Himrod Road crossing in Himrod, with a recently leased GP38-2:

Locla HG2 passing the reamins of salt mine in Himrod:

Local HG2 accessing the connecting track in Himrod to enter the NS COrning Secondary:

Local HG2 northbound on the Corning Secondary in Geneva:

FGLK GP9 and B23-7 parked in the main yard at Geneva:

A complete slide show of day with FGLK, including "going away" shots:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2017/June%202017/0622%20FGLK

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Thursday 6/22/107 in central NY. For those who are curious, FGLK uses trackage rights on NS OCrning Seconday to access the Watkins Glen Division, which is separate from the rest of the FGLK system.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:05:30 PM by Matt L »

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: The Finger Lakes Railway heritage fleet
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »
The following day was also spent with the Finger lakes Railway.

B23-7 #1989 (shown switching at the transfer yard in Himrod) is perhaps the last loco to have a remnant of the old "Conrail Quality" logo:

FGLK #1989 leads HW2 southbound at Route 14 in Himrod:

FGLK HW2 running next to Seneca lake in Reading:

HW2 didn't return to Himrod that day, so I went back the main yard in Border City. I shot this leased switcher on the orperty, with permission:

A couple of B23-7s were warming up behind the engine house in Border City:

I also chased FGLk locla GC2 during the afternoon. Crossing main Street in Canandaigua:

Eastbound at Route 96 in Phelps:

For a full slide show, including "going away shots" and an MOW critter, please visit:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2017/June%202017/0623%20FGLK

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 6/23/0217 in central NY. A big thanks goes out the employees of the Finger Lakes Railway for their professionalism and friendliness. The majority of FGLK locos wear lightning stripes because some of the property is ex-New York Central, including the route shown at Canandaigua and Phelps. . 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:21:18 PM by Matt L »
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline thpbears

• Global Moderator
  • Old Head
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:42:58 PM »
Those are some nice looking engines.

Offline Bill Richardson

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:19:31 PM »
Very interesting.  You frequently get to see some different engines, and you show pictures.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
Thanx, guys! NY has some great shortline operations (including the Finger Lakes Railway of course) and many of them interchange with NS. I even take vacation days to chase them.

Offline reyka23

• Extra Board
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:25:22 AM »
@Matt L , if you manage to catch them we will gladly see pics :) Good luck

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:40:24 PM »
Thank you! Here's a colorful flashback from chasing Finger Lakes Railway 5 years ago.

Road freight GS2 working the yard in Border City -as seen from Border City Road:

Former Conrail B23-7 had recently come back home to former Conrail territory, and was sitting behind behind the shop in Border City:

Road freight GS2 at Brewer Rd in Waterloo:

Form a complete look at the chase, please visit this album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32990771@N04/sets/72157689577936726

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 10/12/2012 in upstate NY.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:45:55 PM by Matt L »

Offline Brian Sawdo

• Extra Board
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »
Great pictures!

anything