2 days in Ohio -first visit to each location

Started by Matt L, May 31, 2017, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

In what has become a Memorial Day tradition, I spend at least part of the weekend trackside in a location far from home. This year, it was the northeastern corner of the Buckeye State. Day #1 was spent at a crossroads of 2 former Pennsy routes in Alliance. All NS trains are either entering or leaving the Cleveland Line unless otherwise noted.   

An eastbound intermodal in rain was my 1st sighting:

A westbound mixed freight with a standard cab Dash 9 trailing:

An eastbound sand train diverges on the Bayard line, while a westbound intermodal enters the Cleveland Line:

This sand train was one of just 2 trains to have foreign power that day:

A mark commemorating President Lincoln's stop there:

SD70 #2525 leads eastbound intermodal 24M:

This eastbound tank train with UP power diverged from Fort Wayne Line to the Bayard line:

The light was much better by the time the westbound mixed freight arrived:

An eastbound hopper train on the Fort Wayne Line:

A westbound hopper train on the Bayard Line, with an OLS unit leading:

An eastbound mixed freight shortly before sunset:

For a complete look at the 17[/17] trains from Day #1, please visit this slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2017/May%202017/0526%20Alliance%20OH

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 5/26/2017 in Alliance, OH. 

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The following day was spent in Ravenna, where the NS Cleveland Line (ex-PRR) crosses over CSX (ex-B&O).

Eastbound NS intermodal on the bridge over CSX:

CSX westbound at the same location, on the approach to Diamond Street:

NS intermodal westbound at W Lake St:

Eastbound NS mixed freight at W Lake St:

Eastbound NS intermodal at W Lake Street:

Did I mention a segment the Erie RR/EL mainline is still in place there? It is now operate by the Akron Baberton Cluster RR, as seen at n Chestnut St:

For a full slide show of 7 NS trains, 3 CSX trains and the ABC RR, please visit:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2017/May%202017/0527%20AMPM%20Ravenna%20OH

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 5/27/2017 in Ravenna, OH. I hope y'all enjoy htse shots, because I'm already planning next year's trip. That location is TBD.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

thpbears

Matt L

You're welcome! BTW, I stumbled across a restored Erie RR caboose and depot on the trip home:

Both photos were taken by me Saturday 5/27/2017 in Mantua, OH. The depot was located on the Erie/EL Cleveland Branch back in the day... but was moved across town sometime during the Conrail era.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk