Author Topic: NS Signal Aspects in Georgia/Alabama  (Read 3890 times)

Offline irondale

• Extra Board
NS Signal Aspects in Georgia/Alabama
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
I have a question about signal aspects coming out of a siding in the Georgia/Alabama area, specifically where there are two signal heads, one of them with only one light, which I've never seen to be anything other than red; the other signal a traditional three color Green/Yellow/Red.

From the siding back to main track it looks like there will always be red/green, red/yellow or red/red.  Does that "single light" signal head ever display anything different from red in the southern territory?  Am I correct to assume the only indications would be diverging clear and diverging approach, or can you get, for example, an advance approach yellow/yellow or diverging approach restricted with a flashing yellow on the lower signal head?

For the main track with tricolor over single head - can you get indications such as advance approach or approach restricting or approach diverging on that signal?

Thanks in advance if someone can help with this!

Offline NSSpike

• Old Head
Re: NS Signal Aspects in Georgia/Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »
Would you happen to have a photo of the specific signal arrangement you are asking about?
I have attached a photo / diagram of an overhead signal arrangement located on the Alabama Division East End District west bound at Temple Georgia.
There are several overhead signals like the one below on the Alabama and Georgia Divisions.

NSSpike
Villa Rica Georgia

NSSpike
CDDX
MP680.6

Offline irondale

• Extra Board
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:15:31 AM »
That is exactly what I was asking about. You've confirmed my understanding.  It was curious that SOU wouldn't provide an option for getting an Advance Approach by proving a lense to give a yellow aspect on the lower signal head for the main track. Do you know if they ever flash the yellow to give an approach restricted or diverging approach restricted?

Thank you much - this is a great help.

Offline NSSpike

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:17:30 AM »
First off I am certainly not an expert on NS signal aspects. In the photo provided,  it represents signals as seen at the end of a controlled siding. Either the mainline or the siding itself. Between Austell Georgia westward to Leeds Alabama there are a total of 15 sidings. On the single track mainline between these sidings are Intermediate signals. At least one, a few have two and there is one 11 mile stretch that has 3 Intermediate signals. That being between control point CP Heflin & CP Ardrey. Between these two CP's is the +1.25% climb up Iron Mountain in the Talladega National Forest. There are 2 locations between CP's where no Intermediate signals exist. One a two mile stretch Baggett / Carroll and strangely a ten mile stretch between Coosa / Holt. I believe that it will be at these Intermediate signals where the aspects you are asking about could exist. Hopefully another member of this board with greater knowledge can provide additional information.
NSSpike
CDDX
MP680.6

Offline irondale

• Extra Board
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:08 AM »
Your comments make sense.  Perhaps I'll have an opportunity to ride the last car of an Amtrak, look out the back door and take a few pictures!  I'm from Atlanta and rail-fanned mostly around NE Georgia, but after moving to Florida and doing quite a bit of consulting work in Birmingham, I was became intrigued with the nature of the Alabama division.  I made that ATL to BHM run once back in the 80's behind a few green E8's.  Thanks again for all the help!

Offline NS O SCALER

• Extra Board
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:28:10 PM »
Typically, an "Advance Approach" aspect like you describe, would possible be used if the control signal here, was on a descending grade.  Just my opinion.

Offline appletech

• Extra Board
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »
In regards to the above signals when leaving a siding,  if a train was diverging into a siding that has at the other end of it going back to the main:

1) a Red over Green  (Diverging Clear) 

or

2) Red over Yellow (Diverging Approach)

what signal would proceed those going into the siding?

I wasn't sure if you'd see an Approach Diverging for both since they are "diverging" aspects or something else like a Diverging Clear for #1.

Thank you.