Author Topic: Day out and about around Allentown, PA  (Read 2071 times)

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
Day out and about around Allentown, PA
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:12:55 PM »
On Tuesday evening a buddy of mine, my brother, and I went to see a concert in Bethlehem, PA. My buddy and I were smart enough to take Wednesday off to recover. I've known my buddy for close to 40 years (we grew up across the alley from each other), and never had I taken him trackside to catch some trains.
Yesterday was a warm, but cloudy day here in eastern PA. We started out around Emmaus, PA where we caught the 38G (Allentown, PA-Camden, NJ) rounding the bend at Kline's lane with the 9374 looking like it is recovering from a nosejob.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:18:36 PM by dschlegel »

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
Re: Day out and about around Allentown, PA
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
We then meandered towards Bethlehem, and took about a 3 mile hike up the canal towpath along Allentown Yard. We went to the hump, but the view was blocked by 18N which was dropping cars destined for somewhere up in NY or Canada. Along the trek I took the shot of the graffiti'd up Railbox boxcar reflecting in the canal, and then the power of 18N sitting about a quarter mile east of the hump while the air was charging.
My buddy is now hooked I think as we're planning a trip to the Harrisburg area in Spring.
Enjoy!
Dan
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:17:54 PM by dschlegel »

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
Nice job, Dan! I'm glad you have a new collaborator down there. Don't know for certain, but the composition of the freights cars looks like something that could come up to NY on NS 37T.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »
Thanks Matt, could be. The box cars were in the receiving yard waiting to get humped, perhaps they came in on a 36T??

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »
Interesting note, last night I saw the White Trash Walt boxcar eastbound on the Reading Line on what looked a lot like 38G, which runs Camden NJ to Allentown PA.
Dan

anything