Patched Santa Fe engine in Danville, KY

Started by Bill Richardson, February 06, 2017, 08:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

I posted a "heads up" in that section this afternoon, about 1:15.  A train headed by an orange BNSF engine pulled in to refuel.  Second engine was the Santa Fe, in faded red paint, #682.  Third was a black NS engine.

Included are two photos of the patched Santa Fe engine I saw in the Danville, KY yard today, between 11:30 and noon.  I first saw in on the east side, as shown in the 1st photo.  That train was stopped for refueling.  I made several photos, some with flash.  I wound up with better results without flash in that situation.  After I did enough with that side, I drove around to the west side and waited for the train to leave, to get the Santa Fe in the clear of trees.  I got three photos while it was leaving--one added here.

Before that train showed up, I had left for a little while, and came back to find a train headed by a CP parked for fuel.  The sun was getting high, since the time was after 10:30.  I had brought along a medium size flash to try and get the lower part of an engine to show up better.  I made some with and without flash.  It didn't help much, but maybe a little.  I had to use the computer to lighten up the lower area on one of those photos.  It is included.

Anyway, it was a busy morning.  When I got there, I found three yellow UP engines. Two were unhooked and moved over to a waiting train of cars,  and it left before long.  After that, I went over to where another train had been refueled.  It took off, then a while later, the BNSF train eased in.  By the time it left, almost noon, I needed to leave too.

thpbears

Matt L

Those ATSF units are pretty rare these days. Great shots, Bill!
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

nrv_trains

Looks like a wore-out bonnet...
Would love to get another one through here...
Gavin W.
Christiansburg, VA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk