Author Topic: Morehead & North Fork Engines  (Read 15477 times)

warpath42

Morehead & North Fork Engines
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »
I don't think the M &NF was ever part of NS, so forgive me if this isn't the place to post this.  I was wondering if anybody had any info on the engines at Clearfield near Morehead.  I took pictures of the diesel sitting under the open shed and also got a few pitures of the other two diesels in the building along with some of the steam engine in the back of the building.  I believe the three diesels are all from Durham & Southern but I don't know anything else about them including what model they are.  I only saw the front of the steam engine, but was totally suprised to see it there at all.  I'll try to upload the pictures if I can find them.  I f any one has any info I'd love to hear about it.

Offline E.M. Bell

• Founder & CEO of Jreb.org
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
    • http://www.jreb.org
Re: Morehead & North Fork Engines
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:20:51 PM »
The steam engine there in Clearfield is  former Southern Railway, so I suppose this is not off topic..

M&NF #12 is former Southern Railway #1643, a Class A7 0-6-0 switcher built by  Pittsburgh locomotive in 1906, Construction number 37672.  Sold to the M&NF in 1952 in serviceable condidtion, the last steam locomotive aquired by the M&NF, and the last one to operate.  No other example of this class remains.  Today, the engine is in decent shape (or it was) and would be a prime candidate for restoration. 

The Diesels all came from the Durham and Southern Railway in North Carolina. The D&S was eventuality absorbed by the SCL, and portions still are operated by CSX today.

D&S 365, a Baldwin DRS6-4-1500 to M&NF, this unit did not last long in Morehead, and I do not know where it went.

D&S 1200, 1201, 1202, Baldwin RS12's, purchased new by the D&S, sold to the M&NF. All three remain in Clearfield to this day.

M&MF (Morehead and Morgan Fork) 1200 is the only intact unit left, and "was" operable several years ago. It had some turbo and traction motor issues, but was in fair condition.

The 1201 was primarily  a parts engine, and  was just about stripped of everything usable by the time the railroad shut down operations.

The 1202  Was intact but out of service with Turbo problems at the end of operations.

The current owners of the earthly remains of the M&NF stripped ALL usable electrical components from the 1201 and 1202 several years ago, along with a lot of other stuff. Neither of those units will ever operate again. The 1200 was last ran in 1994, and has some hope of being restored to operation with enough money.

I had the distinct honor of being on the crew that "revived' the remains of the M&NF in the early 1990's. Two local residents, James Johnson and Brian Rigsby, managed to stabilize the condition of the 12, and got the 1200 running. Over a span  of 4 years,  The 1200 was operated for special events several times a year, and the 12 was placed on display outside the engine house, which was a a rare thing. A FM motorcar was also restored to operating status.  We did enough track work to use most of the Clearfield yard, along with the mainline from near Downtown Morehead to the 519 crossing, a little over a mile. I had many a enjoyable day running the 1200 back and forth over that little stretch of track. 

Today, road construction has devastated most of the mainline and the yard. All the equipment remains, but the current owners have no plans of letting any of it go. They have been offered fair sums of money for both the 12 and 1200, but dont seem to want them preserved.

Check out this link..you will find a bunch of my pics from the early 1990's operations..   http://jreb.org/v-web/gallery/mnfrr

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

warpath42

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »
Thanks for the wealth of information.  Exactly what I was looking for.  The pictures are great too.  I've been traveling to Morehead for about five years and I'd seen the Depot and the freight depot but had no idea the yard was there.  I was trying to go from West Liberty up to Grayson, I believe.  I took a wrong turn and ended up coming into Morehead thru Clearfield and saw the one engine sitting under the shed.  Sometimes the best finds are unexpected.  It's a shame the owners won't do something with, or at least give someone else the chance to.  I hadn't been up there in a while, and was surprised last week to see the recent road construction.  Their building a new bridge over the creek and taking up even more of the yard.  Looks like they may widen the road going south pulling up the ties that are still there.  Again thanks for the info.

Offline butch

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:37:05 AM »
Here are some M&NF images that I have managed to collect.  Now if I can find some shots of  Clack Mountain Tunnel...
Butch Adkins
butch@email.uky.edu

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Offline E.M. Bell

• Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:40:57 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the pics. I have a TON of stuff from there, thats just what I have gotten scanned and online so far. It was a very enjoyable time working with James and Brian. A lot of work, but it was worth it. The C&O had been pulled up for a long time, and most locals had no idea the M&NF had any life left in it. When we would fire up the 1200 and give her a little "exercise". the M5 horn on her would echo up and down the Tripplett valley for miles..a sound that hadnt been heard there for many years. I can still remember the locals showing up in droves when they heard it..

If you want more info on the history of the road, there is a chapter in "Ghost Railroads of Kentucky" by Elmer Sultzer that is worth reading. That book was reprinted a few years ago, and should be easy to find.

W. Lynn Nickle also wrote a book about the M&NF, titled " Riding the Blue Goose" that chronicles the life of the railroad from its inception to the end of service, and then the "Rebirth" in the early 90's..heck there is even a picture of me and James Johnson in there somewhere :) You might also be able to find that in a local bookstore or online if you go searching for it..

oh, and for Butch, our ever resident tunnel expert, Lynn Nickel's book has a few shots of Clack Mountain Tunnel...

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 10:48:17 PM by E.M. Bell »
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline butch

• Old Head
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:51:32 PM »
Riding the Blue Goose...I wonder if it's too late to expand my Christmas wish list.

thanks for the info
Butch Adkins
butch@email.uky.edu

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

jd johnson

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »
EM Bell,

Thanks for the kind words about Brian and me.  It still is very hard for me to see all the progress with the new road going in and remembering the Sunday in 1994 when we all go soaked with the hand car from the Hunington Chapter NRHS.  Quite a day remember?

Would you send me an PM email back channel to let me know your current status.

As you may remember, I am building a minature Morehead and North Fork #9 engine and plan to build the Edwards Rail Car "Blue Goose" too in 7.5 inch gauge.

Take care,

JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian

jd johnson

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »
Everyone,

I am sorry to report that the Dry Creek Bridge has been removed as of yesterday on the Morehead and North Fork Railroad.  The ROW has been forever changed for the new road.

JD Johnson, Morhead and North Fork Railroad Historian

roadrunner513

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »
Morehead and North Fork railroad was originally called the morehead and west liberty railroad it was bought by the clearfield lumber company around 1905. alot of the equipment came from Blacklick and yellow creek railroad and the clearfield southern railroad  both of PA. That WB townsend and A.W.Lee and John Wrigley and Gearharts were part of. The little river lumber company and this one had pretty much all the same owners and investors.Wb townsend is know for the smokey mountain national forrest.and A.W. lee the first was my great great grandfather he was buisness partners with him.

Offline E.M. Bell

• Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
Update! #12 saved, Re: Morehead & North Fork Engines
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
Good news..good news...

Sorry to see her leave the state, but I really dont think there is a preservation group in Kentucky that could take care of her, much do a restoration.  check the link.

http://themoreheadnews.com/local/x67369289/Historic-steam-locomotive-headed-north
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

• Old Head
  • PAL Hogger
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 12:12:06 AM »
Thats great to hear, I always found this to be such a neat and almost hidden railroad. Absolutely love the baldwins, they have a very unique and almost regal look to me, I didnt even know they had a steamer, awesome to see it saved.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Offline etalcos

• Inactives
  • Old Head
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't think that the Baldwins made it out alive.  I think they were scrapped several months back.

Offline E.M. Bell

• Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
yep..the diesels are all gone, even the 1200 that was "kinda" operational. Now, with the 12 leaving, the only thing left will be  a lot of good memories.

James had a dream up there, and was able to pull off a few things that few thought would ever happen. It was a honor to have been invited to be a small part of it. In the end, the all mighty dollar won out (as always) and what was the last true KY shortline is all but gone, with nothing left but some good memories.

I wish Mr. Jacobson the best of luck with the restoration of #12, and you can bet that if she does steam again, I will get up to Ohio to see it.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

• Old Head
  • PAL Hogger
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 01:25:27 PM »
Sounds like you guys pulled off quite an accomplishment, I hate to hear that about Mr Baldwins diesels, they were quite the lookers in my opinion. They're getting to be more and more scarce as the years go by.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Offline E.M. Bell

• Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
I found a link tonight with some pictures of #12's move to the age of steam roundhouse.  Its pretty cool to see her sitting inside a brand new backshop!

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/Album_63.html
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline Brian Sawdo

• Extra Board
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
I posted some pictures of a trip my brother, a friend and I took to find the M&NF after we saw an article in Trains magazine. I just wanted to thank James Johnson and all who came out and showed us around. We had a great time. I don’t know why but I am intrigued with this railroad. Maybe it’s because it was like finding a hidden gem for us.  I’m actually in Morehead today at a vendor event (my wife has a clothing business) and I am going to drive to Clearfield to see what’s left. Thank you again. Brian.