Beginning the year with the VGN unit

Started by Matt L, January 20, 2017, 09:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I can admit it: knowing NS #1069 was criss-crossing upstate NY this month was torturing me. Finally, the VGN unit was assigned to Gang Mills last week. After getting information from trusted sources that she'd be there for the weekend, I made my move.

The VGN unit was shoving a string of covered gondolas when I arrived in Gang Mills:

A rarely used location in Gang Mills is the shoulder of State Route 417, which allowed me to grab additonal side shots on NS #1069:

I also caught a couple other trains while in the area, including NS 28N heading east at MP 315 on the Southern Tier Mainline in Rathbone:

A slide show of the VGN unit, NS 28N and NS 37T:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2017/Jan%202017/0114%20NS

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 1/14/2017 in Steuben County, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

Neat stuff! Is this right outside of Corning? We spent a long weekend in Wellsboro, PA last summer and drove up to the Corning Glass museum for a day trip and these photos look like locations we saw along the way.
Dan

thpbears

Looks pretty good. I really like that shot of the Virginian by itself.

Matt L

Thanx, guys! Gang Mills is a suburb of Corning. Dan, you would have seen the yard if you were on I-99/US Route 15 or State Route 417. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

Yup, I remember the yard when heading north on 99 towards Corning. Beautiful area for sure!
Maybe if head back to Wellsboro again I'll convince my family to fan a bit around Corning!
Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk