NS and fall foliage in western NY

Started by Matt L, November 06, 2016, 08:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

New York is a colorful place to be at this time of year, since trees are a blaze of color,  I had two outings with NS running through the foliage last month. The first outing was along the Southern Tier Mainline.

NS auto rack freight 28N eastbound at MP 389/Spring Road in Alexander:

NS mixed freight 36T eastbound at East Main Street Road in Attica, with Lehigh Railway #5700 as the 3rd unit:

NS 36T climbing the grade on the east side of Attica:

NS intermodal I3K at MP 385/Spring Road in Bethany:

For a complete look at all three trains, please visit my lside show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/Oct%202016/1022%20NS

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 10/22/2016 in western NY. The LHRY SD40-2 was coming back for Ohio, and was dropped off later at Gang Mills. After being forwarded to Elmira, NS local H12 delivered her to the LHRY in Sayre (PA) a couple days later.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

A week late, I was out at the Bayview Road crossing after a successful chase of the New York & Lake Erie RR. NS sent three eastbound trains down the former NKP main while I was there.

NS intermodal 22K with an SD60M, standard cab SD70 (ex-CR) and standard cab Dash 9:

NS intermodal 206:

As the tail end of NS 206 passed, I could already see the headlights for the 3rd train in the distance:

The 3rd train was NS mixed freight 14M:

For a complete look at all 3 NS trains at the Bayview Road crossing, as well as CSX's former NYC line at the same location, please visit my slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/Oct%202016/1029%20PM%20Hamburg

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 10/29/2016 in Hamburg, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

Matt L

Thanx, Dan! I don't know what happened to poor CSX that day. If you check out the slide show, you'll see that their 3 track line (ex-NyC main) turned into a parking lot. I'm not sure what happened because my scanner was tuned to NS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk