Author Topic: In the Lehigh Gorge with GP30s and steam!  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
In the Lehigh Gorge with GP30s and steam!
« on: October 28, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »
As referenced in another [url-http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=17950.msg64076#new]thread[/url], my cousin and I had a fun foray into eastern Pennsylvania. The second day was spent with the Reading Northern RR's Lehigh Gorge Excursion Railway operation.

Arriving at the former CNJ station in Jim Thorpe:

There were 2 diesel power train sets. Thanks to the assistance of a friendly R&N employee, I caught it at Nesqahoning Junction:

There was aslo a stema powered excursion, which arrived ain Jim Thorpe around 11:30 AM:

My cousin and I were also granted permission to tour the cab of GP30 #2531 at Jim Thorpe:

Jeff the engineer (at right) is a great guy. My cousin (at left) and I really enjoyed chatting with him:

The other deisel powered excursion as shorter but had 2 GP30s. Departing Jim Thorpe:

NS had a train parked on the former LV across the river in Jim Thoirpe, which never moved while we were there:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 10/15/2016 in Carbon County, PA.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: In the Lehigh Gorge with GP30s and steam!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:34:25 PM »
As good as the morning had been, the afternoon was even better. Number 425 slowly backs thru the former CNJ yard at Jim Thorpe after a spin on the turntable:

My cousin and I were granted a cab tour of R&N #425 in Jim Thorpe:

After that we got a cab ride in R&N GP30 #2531. Running thru tyhr yard in Jim Thorpe:

Passing PQ Tower at Nesquahoning Junction"

Moving over fro mthe former CNJ main to the former LV main on the nroth side of Jim Thorpe:

Passing vader signals in Lehigh TOnwship, with NS on the left:

Throttel set-up in R&N #2531:

After we returned to Jim Thorpe, we caught the steam excursion leaving for the day:

For a complete look at both diesel excursions and #425's steam excursion, please visit my slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/Oct%202016/1015%20RBMN

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 10/15/2016 in Carbon County, PA.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »
Man you guys had a great day! I love the Jim Thorpe area and have been watching trains there since I can remember. I even remember early CR days with rainbows of power passing then then run down CNJ station.
Great stuff!
Dan

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 08:05:08 PM »
Thanx, Dan! For those who are interested, the cab ride is just $25 -a very fair price IMO. Also, I will take this opportunity to thank the employees of the R&N/Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway for putting together a fantastic operation in Jim Thorpe. An extra special big thanks goes out to MOW employee Tony and engineer Jeff for going out of their way that day.

My mother rode LV between Waverly (NY) and northern NJ when she was a kid, so she was quite pleased to learn that I'd ridden part of the route. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:19:12 PM by Matt L »

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
$25 for a cab ride is a great deal! I will definitely do that in the future!!