A summer day with the LA&L Alco fleet

Started by Matt L, July 28, 2016, 07:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Alcos are a rare breed these days. Thankfully, one of the best Aclo strongholds is just a short drive from my house. The lvionia, Aovn & lakeville RR is active 5-6 days per week in the northwestern croner of the FInger Lakes region in upstate NY.

I started the day at the LA&L's main yard and shop. RS36 #418 is a rare NKP suvivor:

At age 75(!), s2 #72 is the oldest locomotive on the LA&L:

C425 #428 was in the shop:

Number #319 has a unique history. She was built as the only C424 for the Pennsylvania RR. After working hard for PRR, PC and Conrail, #319 was rebuilt as a C424m and sold to the Green Bay & Western RR in 1980. The LA&L purchased her 15 years ago. The prime mover and traction motors are working. The LA&L plans to refurbish the old Century so she be used in revenue freight service.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/22/2016 in Lakeville, NY. Property accessed with the permission of the LA&L. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Mnewhile, the LA&L had sent a local north. I intercepted it at the Rochester & Southern RR yard in Chili:

The power for the local was C425 #425 and high-nose C420 #420, seen switching at Genesee Junction in Chili:

After building a new train, the Alcos led it southbound. This location is East River ROad in West Henrietta:

Switching at the former Erie RR/ EL yard in Avon:

The LA&L sent out an MOW crew to check a switch in Avon:

With the work done, the local departs Avon for the day:

A complete slide show of my with the LA&L:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/July%202016/0722%20LAL

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 7/22/2016 in upstate NY. A big thanks goes out the employees of the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR for their friendliness and professionalism. 

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

Matt L

Thank you! Now that I have a scanner, it is interesting to hear the LA&L and R&S crews discussing what (if anything) NS dropped off at Silver Springs. The R&S acts a bridge carrier, so the LA&L interchanges indirectly with NS. I will also have an excursion announcement regarding the LA&L soon. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk