Author Topic: NS and B&H interchange on a beautiful late spring day  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
NS and B&H interchange on a beautiful late spring day
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:05:36 PM »
the weather two days ago was perfect me- dry and a high in the low 80s. So what does a railfan do? Road trip! The vecation day had been scheduled about a month in advance, and everything seemd  to line up for me.

I began the day with a visit ot the main shop and yard of the Baht & Hammondsport RR. They have been working on Akco s2 #14, and she now sits closer to the engine house. She was couple to S1 #5, which i saw for the 1st time 40 years ago this month when I moved to hammondsport.

Number 14 still sports a Lehigh Valley emplem on each side. This was added by her previous onwe, the Tioga Central, when #14 opreated on a former LV branchline in the '80s and early '90s.

Alco C424m was sitting on another spur next to the engine hiuse:

A slide show from this location:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/June%202016/0617%20AM1%20%20Cohocton%20NY

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me  Friday 6/17/2016 in Cohocton, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: NS and B&H interchange on a beautiful late spring day
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:08:35 PM »
Further to the east, local H85 was working in the Gang Mills yard. The Southern Tier region of NY is well know for patches of heavy morning fog in warmer weather.

Both photos in this post were taken by me Friday 6/17/2016 in Gang Mills, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »
The B&H arrived for interchange late in the morning, which included a light power move along Chemung Street in Painted Post:

NS then sent out H85 to fetch the consist left by the B&H:

RS18u #416 leads the train westbound after the B&H picked up a fresh string of tank cars from NS. The crewman in yellow (at left) flagged the crossing because the traffic lights no longer signal an approaching train:

Slide show of the interchange at Painted Post:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/June%202016/0617%20AM2%20Gang%20Mills%20NY

The B&H heading west at Robert Dann Drive in Coopers Plains:

Slide show at the crossing:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/June%202016/0617%20PM1%20%20Coopers%20Plains%20NY

All photos in this post and both links were taken by me Friday 6/1702016 in Steuben County, NY.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:38:22 PM by Matt L »

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »
After finishing the B&H chase, I head back to the yard at Gin Mills, just in time to see eastbound NS 28N meet westbound NS 205:

i chased NS 28n east, and intercepted the train at Lowman Crossing Road in Wellsburg:

Westbbound NS 37T arrived about 45 minutes later:

Slide show of Gang Mills and Wellsburg in the afternoon:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/June%202016/0617%20PM2%20NS

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 6/17/2016 in upstate NY. As always, a big thank you goes out  to the employees of the Bath & Hammondsport RR for being very helpful and nice. 

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »
Sweet Alco smoke!! Nice catches.

I read on Trainorders that 37T derailed somewhere on the R&N today but there was no detail on the incident. Any word from up your way about what happened or how bad it is?
Dan

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »
Thanx! I read in the NS Southern Tier and D&H Facebook group that NS 37T rolled a rail near Penobscot and put 20 cars on the ground. There were no injuries or hazmat issues, thankfully! The Training First Responders' unit was supposed to go from Binghmaton to Buffalo as part of 37T. Because #5642 and associated cars are scheduled for Bison Yard from tomorrow to the 23rd, NS ran them out of Conklin Yard as extra 099 last night, with the FRU running long hood forward! Last I knew, the R&N was still cleaning up the accident site.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:33:13 PM by Matt L »

anything