Horseshoe Curve, Altoona Works and more

Started by Matt L, May 31, 2016, 07:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I made my 3rd trip to Altoona last weekend. There is alot to see there- mountain railroading with helpers, a busy mainline hosting 50+ trains per day, the legendary Altoona Works and more. I feel like I'm on sensory overload! It is the best place to see NS in the Northeast, and I'm saying this as a loyal, lifelong NYer. So let's get on with it...

On the way down, I spent a couple hours with the Nittany & Bald Eagle RR, a colorful shortline that operates a former PRR/PC/CR branch. thnax to a tip from a fellow railfan, I caught their local for the 1st time ever.

West 10th Street brdige in Tyrone:

Street running at Washington Avenue in Tyrone:

Highballing at Main Street in Unionville:

For a complete look at my NBER chase, please visit the slide show at:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/May%202016/0527%20NBER

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 5/27/2016 in central Pennsylvania.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Another first, seeing Horseshoe Curve from the west (non-park) side of the tracks.

Eastbound NS intermodal:

Westbound hopper train:

After the hopper train passed, I moved downtown to the 24 1/2 Street bridge.

Westbound NS tank train 66Z:

Westbound Amtrak Pennsylvanian:

Following dinner, I also caught this westbound NS intermodal from the pedestrian bridge in the center of the city:

A complete look at Day 1 of this trip:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/May%202016/0527%20PM1%20Altoona%20PA

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 5/27/2016 in Altoona, PA.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Day 2 was just as intense. I spent 3 hours at Horseshoe Curve Park.

Inside the Kahoning Point Museum at the base of the curve:

Eastbound Amtrak Pennsylvanian:

A short NS work train meets westbound NS tank train 65R:

Westbound NS intermodal 25Z, which was also the 1st train I saw on my first visit:

A slide show of all the trains I saw at Horseshoe Cruve on Day 2, as well as some museum shots:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/May%202016/0528%20Altoona%20PA%20Horseshoe

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 5/28/2016 in Altoona, PA. The trees on the hillside below the curve have been cut down, so the visibility is much better there now than it was a couple years back.

Matt L

Moving east in the afternoon, I paid a visit to Altoona works. Among other things, the rebuild program for the ex-UP SD90MACs conitnues:

yard action, as seen from the North 8th Street brdige:

Westbound NS intermodal:

Eastbound NS mixed freight departing:

I went back to the shop one more time, and was treated to seeing an SW1001 use the turntable!

The complete set from Altoona Works and North 8th Street:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/May%202016/0528%20Altoona%20PA%20Juniata

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 5/28/2016 in Altoona, PA. I can't think of a better place to see mountain railroading or a great locomotive shop. 

dschlegel

Looks like a great visit! I was there back in May with my brother and dad. It looks like there is a lot more brush cleared on the east side of the curve in your photos compared to just three weeks ago!
Dan

Matt L

Thanx! The park received a $50k grant to clear the brush. The west end had been cleared off last fall when I was there with my cousin, but the east end was still covered in brush at that time. I agree it looks much better now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk