My second Ohio road trip

Started by Matt L, May 16, 2016, 07:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

The decline in the coal market and NS's announcement that they will eventually close the Ashtabula coal dock rpompted me to make a trip out there a few days back. The results were worth the effort.

Before I went to the dock, I checked out some action inland. My frist sighting was NS 14M backing down the Youngstown line to get onto the Lake Erie District:

A local on the former NKP:

NS 22K heading east on the Lake Erie District at jefferson Avenue:

After NS 22K passed, NS 14M go under way to head for Buffalo:

A slide show of all 3 trains:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/May%202016/0513%20%20AMPM%20%20Ashtabula%20OH

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 5/13/2016 in Ashtabula, OH.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

After NS 14M passed, I headed up the harbor itself. The East 6th Street bridge is a great location to take shots.

NS and CP power in the yard:

NS GP38-2s shuffle a string of empty hoppers:

I think this coal train is NS 580:

CSX is a tenant in the yard. They definitely haul stone here, and posssibly salt, too:

I also took a look at the maritime museum on the other side of the river:

For a complete look at the harbor, include the coal pile and more museum shots, please check out my slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/May%202016/0513%20PM1%20%20Ashtabula%20OH

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 5/13/2016 in Ashtabula, OH.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I also wandered over to COnneaut, which a short drive east of Ashtabula and has a small yard. Note thetransfer hack with the EMDs:

The was also a bit of varnish in the yard:

NS 316 departing for Buffalo:

The tail end of NS 316 passes the signals east of Chesnut Street:

NS 310 leaving the yard for Buffalo:

A complete slide show of both trains and the yard:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2016/May%202016/0513%20PM3%20Conneaut%20NY

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 5/13/2016 in Conneaut, OH. I headed to Buffalo for dinner after NS 310 passed, wrapping up a successful day of railfanning in the Buckeye State for just the 2nd time ever.

Matt L

I have subsequently discovered that the transfer caboose and #3311 shown in Conneaut have been working in MOW service. NS does have a tie replacement program on the Lake Erie District, slowly working eastward towards Buffalo. 

Matt L

Thanks, Steve! What is your take on the future of the Ashtabula dock?

steveiez

Since coke is still loaded on to lake ships or barges for Ecorse Mi. and Gary I think it will stay open. There really is no  else to unload it unless an agreement to use Conneaut Dock which is B&LE  and is owned by CN.
Steve

Matt L

That's great news! Thanx again, Steve!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk