Mid-Train Helpers How Is It Working Out????

Started by NSSpike, May 01, 2016, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSSpike

For several weeks now NS has been running NS 154 (BIRMINGHAM, AL - LINWOOD, NC) on the East End District with mid-train helpers. It hasn't been without a few problems either. Mainly busted knuckles and draw heads. All aft of the mid-train units. On two occasions delays ran upwards of 3 hours and occurred east of, or within the city of Temple Georgia that I am aware of. Early morning traffic at least had one road crossing in service. To the west in Alabama I have no idea if there have been any problems as I have not heard of any over the scanner.

Fridays 154 at 9,600ft and 140 plus cars had a busted knuckle on the "A" end of the first car behind the mid-train units. Took a while to fix that, only to find an UN-repairable air hose on a flat car further back in the consist. This required the application of a run around air hose. First time I have seen one of these applied. Appeared to be plastic type hose? Anyone know the exact material?  At least a road foreman was available to help speed things up and get this train moving again.

In any case, just wondering if there are any other NS trains out there running with mid-train helpers and what kind of luck they are having?

NS 154 -28  Head End Power NS 7663, 9432, 2676   Mid-Train NS 9545 & 7557  140 Cars @ 9,600ft  Tons?

NS 154 Mid-Train Helpers through Villa Rica Ga.

NS 154-15 Loaded hopper with "A" end draw head failure.

NS 154-28 with "run around" air hose applied to flat car.

NSSpike
CDDX
MP680.6

steveiez

The point of all of this is less crews! I saw one in the Pittsburgh area and have not seen one since.
Steve

dschlegel

There's been a handful on the Reading line, I believe all have been 16N's. Haven't heard of any problems out here, and the Reading line is a bit of a roller coaster. I remember seeing the old taconite pellet trains headed to Bethlehem Steel as a kid several times with busted knuckles.
Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk