Sayre during an April snowstorm

Started by Matt L, April 19, 2016, 08:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I am part of a group of railfans that gets together every year to commemorate the Lehigh Valley RR, a beloved anthracite carrier that ran from northern New Jersey to Buffalo. This month marked the 40th anniversary of Conrail taking over most of the former LV, so we made a pilgrimage into the heart of LV territory. My friend Scot grew up in Waverly and Sayre, so he arranged a visit to the Sayre Historical Society.

I'm getting ahead of myself, though. We made a couple of stops along the way, including the northern end of the former LV yard. NS local H13 was idling there:

The Sayre Historical Society is in the former Lehigh Val;ley station itself, with a former LV caboose parked next to it:

The station had alot of nice memorabilia in it:

Yes, i rang that bell!

There were also two nice HO scale layouts, including this one:

My friend Chris and I also explored the interior of the caboose. This is the 3rd LV cabobose I've been inside!

As an added bonus, the Lehigh Railway (notice the name) sent their local up to switch while were there:

A complete slide show of the station and yard:

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/Amtrak_Matt/slideshow/2016/0409%20AMPM%20Sayre%20PA

All photos in this post andthe link were taken by me Saturday 4/9/2016 in Sayre, PA.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Here are a few other assorted goodies from the trip.

Former John H Murray & Sons coal dealership in South Waverly:

A pair of ex-LV cabeese in Milan -one of them still wears fading CR colors:

Former LV depot and ex-Ere baggage car in Towanda:

Former Susquehanna & New York RR depot in Towanda:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 4/9/2016 in Bradford County, PA. My fellow LV railfans and I are already planning our trip for next year. If the 6 outings we've done so far (including this year) are any indication, it should be epic.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk