Author Topic: Southern Pine Lumber Company #28 on the Texas State Railroad.  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Ed Fury

• Inactives
  • Old Head
    • Flickr
Southern Pine Lumber Co. No. 28 (300)    Rusk, TX
Date   Action   Description
   Built For:    United States Army #396
[1919]    Renumbered:    #645
[1941]    Renumbered:    #20 at Camp Claiborne, LA
[03/1947]    Sold:    S. Bender
[Unknown]    Sold:    Tremont & Gulf Railway Co. #28 at Winnfield, LA
[06/1955]    Sold:    Temple Lumber Co. #28 at Pineland, TX
[1956]    Merger:    Southern Pine Lumber Co. #28
[1976]    Donated:    Texas State Railroad #300

Backstory - I have spent most of the last 12 to 18 months recovering from two leg surgeries. In the process of being off on medical I haven't used any vacation hours. Upon returning to work I had to burn 3 weeks of vacation before June 2016. Looking for something to do with a week I saw that the Texas State Railroad was going to take their steam engine out of storage and fire it up for the start of the tourist season. I quickly put in my time off request and then on March 14th I headed for the Piney Woods of East Texas. My home away from home.

The excursions are from Rusk Texas 25 miles to Palestine Texas. There are wyes at both ends to turn the engines for a return trip. A steam engine runs from Rusk at 11 am and a vintage diesel runs from Palestine. There is a siding called Meshaw where the two trains meet.

I had really hoped to see the Texas & Pacific 316 run (former TSRR 201). Being the only active Texas & Pacific steam engine left and one I had seen before on a previous visit to the TSRR it is my favorite steam engine.

Due to early morning traffic through numerous small town cities and faulty GPS both Garmin and google maps on a smartphone when arriving at Rusk the excursion had already left. Hightailing it out of the Depot and back onto the highway SPLCO #28 was spotted and the first throw it in park and jump out photo was at the Oakland Crossing. I had just enough time to get the lens cap off and turn the camera on as it came into view.

Texas State Railroad by Texas Eagle, on Flickr

Back in the car and off again the next location was the turntable in Maydelle. The train stopped and picked up additional passengers at the depot.

Somewhere after here the train was "lost" and when it picked it up again I missed a shot at a crossing. I had a different lens for a new shot and a family arrived who were also chasing the train. Needless to say as I stepped back to the car I lost my spot in my photo line and when the train came around the corner I had backs and poles in my view finder. Not the shot I wanted at all. But it's steam.

Off to Palestine and the train depot for a bathroom break and purchase of souvenirs.

When the train arrives the passengers disembark and have lunch in a picnic area while the crew services and wyes the engine.

Coming around the wye.

While they were all loading back on the train a decision was made to leave early and head to the first crossing and claim a spot before other railfans arrived. This is the result and my favorite photo from the trip. 

Deanwright Crossing

Here's the diesel train and the Meshaw siding on the return.

And the splco 28 going back by.

Here are those F units that were in Queensgate for a few days last year. Hidden way in the back behind the maintenance shop in Rusk

I still have a few photos I have not processed yet. And there are additional photos on my flickr if anyone is interested.

Offline Ed Fury

• Inactives
  • Old Head
    • Flickr
Re: Southern Pine Lumber Company #28 on the Texas State Railroad.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 12:30:36 AM »
I forgot a black and white one with the NIK software Em Bell has told everyone about.

Southern Pine Lumber Co. No. 28 by Texas Eagle, on Flickr

Offline Trainman24210

• Old Head
  • Happy old retired Hilton Head navi...gator.
Re: Southern Pine Lumber Company #28 on the Texas State Railroad.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
Great shots.  Thanks for the report.  We may go thru there later this year.  Also I am glad to hear the F-units are okay.  I have lots of shots from when they were on the Geprgia Southwestern.

anything