Author Topic: Lightning stripes and Conrail blue  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
Lightning stripes and Conrail blue
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
Most of the country has been much warmer this fall than the past few years, and upstate NY is no exception. With that mind, I headed out last Friday to spend some time trackside. I couldn't have asked for a better day- sunny and low 60s. Woo hoo!

This trip was spent with one of NS's biggest shortline interchange partners in the Northeast, which is the Finger Lakes Railway. I had wanted to chase local GC2 2 months ago, but missed the opportunity to follow the train west of Geneva. This trip woudl be different.

To start things off, I found a boxcar that FGLK had painted into vintage NYC colors at their main yard:

After signing a release in the office, I was allowed to watch FGLK from a safe area on the property. B23-7 #2309 and leased SD38-2 #3301 were behind the engine house:

It looked like GP9 #1701 and B23-7 were going to the be the power for local GC2:

Meanwhile, former Conrail b23-7 #1943 held down GY1 (yard duty) on former Conrail tracks:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/11/2015 in Border City, NY.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:32:22 PM by Matt L »

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: Lightning stripes and Conrail blue
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »
However, FGLK did make a last minute adjustment to local GC2. Geep #7101 was rplaced by B23-7 #2305. They switched the west end of the yard in Geneva and then departed westbound. Approaching State Route 14 :

Local GC2 heading westbound at County Road 6 in Oak Corners:

Unfortunately, I missed a wrong turn and with it a chance to see local GC2 drop off a couple of cars at the former LV yard in Manchester. (Note: FGLK ooerates a mix of former NYC, LV and Pennsy lines.) I caught up with the train at County Road 22 in the Town of Canandaigua:

Local GC2 services a granary in the City of Canandaigua, as seen form the Ontario Street crossing:

While FGLK does operate a portion of the former Pennsy Elmira Branch south of Canandaigua, Penn Central removed the PRR in the icty itself in 1972. It has since become Ontario Pathways, a trail that runs next to the former NYC Auburn Branch operated by FGLK now:

The tall structure behind the train in Canandaigua is the former NYC depot. It is owned by a small business.

The tank car was destined for Constellation, a winery and liquor distributor on the west side of Canandaigua. Before dropping it off, GC2 set-up to switch Pactiv, a plastics plant a short distance up the tracks:

Heading across the North Street crossing in Canandaigua:

By this time, it was less than an hour till sunset so I decided to call it a day. To see the rest of my shots from the FGLK chase, please visit:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/Dec%202015/1211%20FGLK

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/11/2015 in Ontario County, NY. A big thanks goes out to the employees of the Finger Lakes Railway for their professionalism and courtesy, especially the office staff for ensuring my safe and legal access to the property in Geneva.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:16:24 PM by Matt L »
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: Lightning stripes and Conrail blue
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
Quick update on the boxcar: I have subsequently learned the Finger Lakes Railway didn't paint it themselves. Rather, it was a gift from another RR.