Author Topic: After waiting 39 years, I finally saw my hometown steam locomotive  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
As some of you may recall, I was born in Elmira, NY and lived there until age 7. My father got the itch to own his own pharmacy, so we moved to Hammondsport, NY in 1976. I was rather sad to be leaving the now former EL behind, as the Southern Tier Mainline was still quite active at that point. However, my sorrow was short lived when I discovered Hammondsport had its very own shortline. I spent many, many hours by the tracks as a kid. My parents also got a book called Keuka Lake Memories, which profiled the history of the Bath & Hammondsport RR up to 1965. The most frequently photographed B&H locomotive was their final steamer, 2-6-0 #11. I never thought I'd see her run until I found out the Everett RR bought #11 a few yeas ago. After the majority of restoration was done by the Western Maryland Scenic RR, #11 was sent over to the Everett RR. She made some test runs late in the summer, and has been running excursions this fall. My cousin missed our family reunion this summer, so he proposed railfanning in PA this fall. We picked Sand Patch for the 1st day, but what about the 2nd day? We visited Gallitzin (as seen in anther thread), and chased the Everett RR, too.

We weren't quite sure where the excursion departed, so we went to the Everett RR's HQ in Duncansville. There was no excursion, but there was a nice 44 tonner, a Geep and some rolling stock:

We eventually figured out the excursions depart from Hollidaysburg, so my cousin and headed over there. my wait of 39 years was fulfilled at long last!

For the curious, #11 was built by Alco's Cook Works in 1920. Here we see the Mogul idling at Hoillidaysburg before the 1st trip of the day departed:

The engineer was kind enough to to shoot htis view of the cab interior for me at Hollidays burg:

Number #11 departs Hollidaysburg with the 1st trip of the day:

The 1st trip of the day returns to Hollidaysburg:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 11/7/2015 in Blair County, PA...  excepted as noted in the cab shot.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:55:28 PM by Matt L »

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: After waiting 39 years, I finally saw my hometown steam locomotive
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:54:37 PM »
There were three 3 trips in total that day. My favorite photo location was Snowberger Lane in Hollidaysburg. This was the 2nd trip:

Number #11 on the runaround between the 2nd trip and the 3rd trip in Hollidaysburg:

The lighting steadily improved throughout the day. Here we see #11 at Hollidaysburg shortly before the 3rd trip:

The 3rd and final trip of the day departs Hollidaysburg:

The complete slide show of my adventures with the Everett RR:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/Nov%202015/1107%20Everett%20RR

All photos in this post and the link (with the exception of engineer's shot in the cab using my camera) were taken by me Saturday 11/7/2015 in Blair County, PA

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »
Sand Patch, Gallitzin and teh Everett RR made for a great weekend. I even enjoyed a nice sunset on the trip back to new York:

Both photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 11/7/2015 in Williamsport, PA. A big and special thank you goes out to Aln nMaples and his employees at the Everett RR, as well as folks at the Western Maryland Scenic RR who worked on the restoration, for making a childhood dream of seeing#11 come true.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:15:10 PM by Matt L »

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
After waiting 39 years, I finally saw my hometown steam locomotive
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »
I had idea there was steam in Holidaysburg, very cool! Nice photos, I will definitely check it out in the spring when I head to the west slope!
Dan
PS: Nice sunset photos!!

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. As a former Hammondpsort resident and B&H fan, I'm glad to know #11 has found a good home. I plan to ride an excursion pulled by her next year. The greater Altoona area has needed a steam powered excursion for a long time, and the Everett fits the bill perfectly.

Offline tah1015613

• Marked up
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
Great photos Matt

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »
Thank you. It should be noted that the Everett RR also owns another steam locomotive- #38.  She is a 2-8-0 that was originally owned by the Huntington & Broad Top RR. In fact, the Everett RR had the option to buy #38 when they began operations on a segment of the H&BT in 1954, but purchased a diesel instead. Number 38 then went to Rail City, which also purchased #11 from the Bath & Hammondsport RR in 1955. The Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR bought #38 in 1968 and ran her on excursions (and occasional freight service!) till 1975. She was also owned by the Knox & Kane RR for a time but was damaged in an engine house fire circa 2008. Alan Maples of the Everett RR bought #38 a few years back and hopes to restore her to service.

anything