My first trip to the tunnel at Gallitzin

Started by Matt L, November 18, 2015, 07:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I gotta give my cousin major credit- his idea to go railfanning in the Keystone State earlier this month was brilliant. After visiting Sand Patch for the first time, we spent the night in Altoona.  We went to the park at Horseshoe Curve the next morning, but it was closed.  We deicded to head over to Gallitizin because I had never seen the tunnel there. I ma glad we did.

Eastbound NS mixed freight heading toward the tunnel:

The eastbound mixed freight seen above and a westbound NS mixed freight meet just west of the Jackson Street bridge:

Pushers shove the eastbound mixed fregiht into the tunnel ,wwhile more of the westbound mixed freight emerges:

Former PRR caboose at the park overlooking the tunnel:

For a complete look at the NS and Amtrak action I saw the tunnel, please visit:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/Nov%202015/1107%20AM%20Gallitzin%20PA

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 11/7/2015 in Gallitzin, PA.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

E.M. Bell

Thats a great area up there...I always enjoy a trip to the Wests Slope.  Go in the winter some time, you wont be disappointed! 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Matt L

The West Slope in winter is a good idea. I've never been to Cresson... so maybe I'll go there next year.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

Quote from: Matt L on November 19, 2015, 08:10:41 PM
The West Slope in winter is a good idea. I've never been to Cresson... so maybe I'll go there next year.

Stay at the Station Inn, you won't be sorry. My dad, brother and I have made an annual visit there every spring since 2002.

While in the area be sure to spend an afternoon at Cassandra overlook, it's one of the most special places on this earth.
Dan

steveiez

The lumber yard use to take lumber by rail; don't know if they still do. Also there use too be a house painted up encouraging atheism.
Steve

Matt L

Quote from: dschlegel on November 19, 2015, 09:19:21 PM

Quote from: Matt L on November 19, 2015, 08:10:41 PM

Stay at the Station Inn, you won't be sorry. My dad, brother and I have made an annual visit there every spring since 2002.

While in the area be sure to spend an afternoon at Cassandra overlook, it's one of the most special places on this earth.
Dan

Thanx for the tip!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk