A fall day with the Finger Lakes Railway heritage fleet

Started by Matt L, October 21, 2015, 08:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

This past summer marked the 20th anniversary of the Finger Lakes Railway, They acquired the Geneva Cluster from Conrail on 7/23/1995.  The lines are remnants of the New York Central, Lehigh Valley and Pennsy. As many of you know, I like to visit FGLK several times a year, with fall being my favorite trip there. 

I was hoping to chase local HW2 down the west side of Seneca Lake, but #2305 never left the transfer yard in Himrod.

The MOW crew arrived with a truck around mid-morning and began working in the yard at Himrod:

With no trains running at Himrod, I headed north to the main FGLK yard. After signing a release, I was free to shoot photos on their property (within a designated area). SD38-2 #3304 and  B23-7 #1989 were shuffling a few cars:

Here we see #1989 idling at Border City. She and sister unit #1943 are former Conrail B-boats. Although the CR logo is gone, the dress blue remains.

The majority of FGLK's locomotive fleet wears a distinctive New York Central heritage scheme. GP9 #1701 and B23-7 #2309 were sitting next to the engine house at Border City.

FGLK currently has one active U23B. (A second U-boat is in storage.) Wearing LV colors, #2201 was the power for local GY1 at Border City.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 10/9/2015 in central New York.
All

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

B-boat #2309 was the power for local GC2. Here we see the train at North Street crossing in Border City:

Local GC2 on the former NYC Auburn Road in Geneva, before heading west to work in Manchester and Canandaigua.

Local GY1 heading out of Border City. This crossing is also at North Street, about 1/2 mile east of other North Street corssing seen previously:

Local GY1 switches a customer in Waterloo, as seen from Packwood Road:

The customer is on a trailing point spur, with no passing track. Therefore, local GY1 had to shove back to Border City. We are back at North Street again:

For a complete slide show of my day with FGLK, please visit:
http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/Oct%202015/1009%20FGLK

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 10/9/2015 in central New York. A big thank you goes out to the employees of the Finger Lakes Railway for their friendliness and professionalism.   

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk