Former NYC grand slam: depot, track, coaches and rare Alco RS32!

Started by Matt L, October 07, 2015, 08:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Although the weather last weekend was rather damp and gray, that didn't stop me from heading out to catch an excursion operated by the Medina RR Museum and the Falls Road RR. This area sits between Rochester and Buffalo, right in the heart of the former New York Central RR. The Medina RR Museum itself sits in a former NYC depot. It has a huge a huge and very cool HO-scale layout.

other RRs are dpicted on the layout, too.

As fun as the layout is, the real action was outdoors. I caught the train back up to the depot final trip of the day. Except for the green coach at the end, all of the cars are former New York Central:

The power was an ultra rare Alco RS32. Just of 4 these beauties still exist! Number 2035 is one of two ex-NYC RS32s.

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 10/3/2015 in Medina, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

What makes the story of #2035 even better is her good fortune. She has plied these rails under 4 differnet owners: NYC, PC, early Conrail and (for about a decade) the Falls Road. Very few locomotives of her age have done that.

The excursion passes through the fall foliage on the approach to hoffman Road in Shelby:

The RS32 makes a run-around move in the yard at Lockport:

Number 2035 ran long hood forward for the return trip, as seen at Orangeport Road in Gasport:

Making the return to Lockport- pulling up to the museum:

In truth, there are TWO former NYC depots in Medina. This one is privately pwned and sits just east of the museum's depot:

For a complete look at the excursion and museum, please visit my slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/Oct%202015/1003%20FRRR

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 10/3/2015 in western New York. A special thanks goes out to the volunteers of the Medina RR Museum and the employees of the Falls Road RR for being friendly and running a very nice operation. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Thank you! RS32 #2035 is usually the freight power for the Falls Road, too... but former N&W RS11 #1802 sometimes handles the job instead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk