National Train Day with 3 Alco Centuries and former NYC coaches

Started by Matt L, May 18, 2015, 08:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

National Train Day was very nice in upstate NY. The weather was warm, and the thunderstorms stayed away while I was enjoying the occasion. The Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR teamed up with the Rochester & Genesee Valley RR Museum to celebrate the LA&L's 50th anniversary with a pair of excursions. I chased the first trip, and rode the second.

Let's start with trip #1. LA&L C425 #428 charges up the hill at Conesus jct in the Town of Livonia:

The train is heading northbound at Bailey Road in Henrietta, NY:

The train operated pull-pull. LA&L C425 #425 and C420 #420 (yes, you read the numbers correctly) lead the train southbound at Erie Station Road in West Henrietta:

The train snakes through the former Erie RR/EL yard in Avon:

The first trip returns to the Conesus Sport Man's Club in Lakevlle:

Slide show of trip #1:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/May%202015/0509%20LALRR%201

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 5/9/2015 in upstate New York. 

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

All aboard! it's time for Trip #2 at Lakeville.

Inside a former New York Central RR caoch while boarding at Lakeville:

Getting my ticket punched:

A reproduction poster in the former NYC coach:

This trip (like its predecessor) went as far north as the Mortimer Running Track in Henrietta. Conrail built this connection in 1979 to tie former Erie RR and Lehigh Valley RR branches together. It was sold to the LA&L in 1996, after Conrail threatened to abandon the segment between Henrietta and Avon.

Heading southbound in Henrietta:

The LA&L and RGVRRM had a night photography session in Lakeville. The equipment included Alco RS1 #20 (which pulled excursion in the '70s) and the LA&L's wooden caboose.

I missed the night session in Lakeville, due toa friend's farewell dinner. As you can see, I did get a few daylight shots in Lakeville. RGVRRM also brought down their GE 45 tonner, which had been the first diesel locomotive on the LA&L back in 1965.

Complete look at trip #2 and afterward:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/May%202015/0509%20LALRR%202

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 5/9/2015 in upstate New York. A major thank you goes out to the staff of the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR and the volunteers of the Rochester & Genesee Valley RR Museum for doing a great job with the excursions. Finally, congratulations to the LA&L on 50th years of freight service! They took 2 segments of track (from EL in 1965 and Conrail in 1996) to create one of the best shortline operations in America.   

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk