Author Topic: Exploring a former Lehigh Valley RR branch  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
Exploring a former Lehigh Valley RR branch
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:14:53 PM »
The Naples Branch pf the Lehigh Valley RR ran through the hilly terrain of the Finger Lakes in upstate NY. It was completed in stages between 1870 and 1892. The line remained intact until 1970, when LV ended service between Napes and Middlesex, NY. The rest of the line (Middlesex to Geneva) was embargoed in 1973 and the rails were lifted in 1978.

I began organizing expeditions to explore the remains of the Lehigh Valley RR 4 years ago. We chose the Naples Branch this year. We started at the turntable pit in Naples:

Former LV station in Naples:

Bridge pier at Dewey Avenue in Gorham:

Former ROW west of Pre-Emption Road in: 

Slide show of Naples to Geneva:

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/Amtrak_Matt/slideshow/2015/April%202015/0411%20LV%20Naples%20Branch

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 4/11/2015 in Ontario County, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: Exploring a former Lehigh Valley RR branch
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »
This section will cover the former location of a diamond where the LV Naples Branch and the PR/PC Elmira Branch crossed>

This ex-PRR/PC ROW is now a trail:

Former signal base:

Grain elevator served by PRR, PC and Conrail until about 1980 or so.

Looking west on the former LV Naples Branch:

Complete slide  show of the former diamond area:

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/Amtrak_Matt/slideshow/2015/April%202015

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 4/11/2015 in Stnaley, NY.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:23:46 PM by Matt L »
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: Exploring a former Lehigh Valley RR branch
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »
Railroad archaeology is fun, but I couldn't resist the temptation to shoot an active shortline while I was in the area. This is the Finger Lakes Railway's yard. It is ex-New York Central and B23-7 #1989 is ex-Conrail:

FGLK #2309 with part of the train that became road frieght GS2:

This was the 1st time I saw recently leased SD38-2 #3301:

Number 3301 backs past Geep #1703:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 4/11/2015 in Geneva, NY.

anything