Author Topic: Classic NS Consist  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Michael Knight

• Hoff
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
Classic NS Consist
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
Fellow Jreb`er Gage recently captured a real treat in the form of power on Train 12X. He's given me his blessing to share his photo here for the purposes of my thread.

Seeing this consist brings back memories of the way NS used to be: mixed four and six axle consists on manifest or intermodal trains. Throughout the 90`s, such consists were common and one never knew what to expect on a given train.

Particularly striking here is that boxy dynamic break housing on the second unit, which automatically says GP59 or GP60--mainline power on NS throughout the 90`s.

Congratulations to Gage for catching this consist. Share your memories here of the way things used to be or comments.

Offline High Speed Kurt

• Inactives
  • Footboard Yardmaster
Re: Classic NS Consist
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:07:03 PM »
This is great. One of my favorite trains to shoot down here in New Orleans were the APL stacks that used to come off #221.  Typically the NS power would deliver them to the SP and break off, the SP power would jump on and go.  You would see a couple GP60's or a mix of SD40-2's and geeps.

UP and CSX got that business, and it's all pacer/umax now.

Kurt

Offline legostudios34

• Marked up
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:49:26 PM »
I'm a big fan of shooting older EMDs (and even the 4-axle GEs) on mainline trains. Here's a trio of SD40-2s I shot leading NS train 371 at Pinson, GA a few weeks ago. The lead unit is ex-NW, and it still has it's awesome RS5T.

NS 6174 Pinson Telephoto by lego-studios34, on Flickr

Offline TheVARailFan

• Footboard Yardmaster
  • Long live the Virginian
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »
ex-N&W and ex-SOU behind ex-BN, wish the 6149 was up-front, but you can't always get it perfect.

Another trio of SD40-2's, oddly enough the same heritage on these loco's, just in reverse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo7Dt00GK_E

Can anyone tell me what kind of horn that is?
TheVARailFan; home base: Norfolk, VA