Author Topic: 29G. New or reassigned train?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline florida581

• Old Head
29G. New or reassigned train?
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
I just looked at the NS intermodal schedule page and noticed traffic originating at Norfolk and Portsmouth that is bound for Columbus and Detroit Livernois now departs on 29G.  The last I knew, 29G was a Greer, SC (BMW) - Detroit autorack train.  Was the 29G symbol reassigned as an intermodal train?  Or, does the autorack train pick up the Hampton Roads intermodal traffic en route?  Anyone have any info about this train?

Andrew

Offline Ptrainman

• Global Moderator
  • Old Head
  • SOU and EMD to the Death
    • Southern Rails Photography
Re: 29G. New or reassigned train?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »
It appears that 29G has been reassigned as a Norfolk Int Terminal to Sterling Yard Detroit train. Its handling stacks out of NIT if there are any and picking up racks at Poe and Roanoke. Some days its all racks. One the 14th they ran a 29G that was stacks and racks and an I9G that was solid racks.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Offline florida581

• Old Head
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the info, Paul.  23Q was/is a 2x a week Norfolk - Columbus train.  Is that train still running?  Or did 29G pretty much replace it?
Andrew

Offline TheVARailFan

• Footboard Yardmaster
  • Long live the Virginian
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
29G replaced it. I haven't seen one or heard one call signals in about 2 months. Sad too, I loved the 23Q, and I can't ever catch the 29G because it departs around 2:00am, I'm not going to be at the tracks anywhere near 2:00am unless I'm on a trip or there's a heritage duo.
TheVARailFan; home base: Norfolk, VA

anything