Snow & Heritage on the NS Louisville District

Started by E.M. Bell, January 31, 2015, 07:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

For the most part, this winter here in Central Kentucky has been cold and wet, but we have had little snow...very little.  Most folks around these parts are probably rejoicing about that fact, but I am not one of them. I love snow (and bad weather in general) and love to be out in it with the camera when I can....

Last Saturday, we got our First significant snowfall of the season, after all the experts said it would amount to nothing!.  Gage and myself had already planned on going out for the day (and heading West on the PAL (the results of which I have already shared) but before we pointed the explorer West, we took advantage of the 5 + inches of fresh snow and shot a couple of trains on the Louisville District.

Later in the week, I lucked into being able to shoot the N&W 8103 again on the way home from work.  Having a heritage engine "trapped" in that turn is always a good thing, as the power tends to stay on it for several weeks, and seeing as how it runs by my front door every couple of days, I dont have to go out of my way to shoot it!  We have been lucky enough to have the Reading, Conrail, NYC and Erie units all spend time on that train, and now its the 8103's turn. 

Here are a few samples from the past week, and be sure to check them all out in full sized over on my Pbase gallery at this link!  >>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsls15

Saturday 01/24/15

Westbound Steel train 61R rolls through Talmage, KY just after sunrise

61R crosses old US 127 on the East Side of Lawrenceburg, Kentucky

A UP dirty bird leads Eastbound M67 as the train climbs out of the Benson Creek Valley at Alton Station, KY.    While this is not high on my list of favorite power, the winter landscape more than makes up for it! 

Friday 01/30/15

NS 890 rolls through the barren fields just East of Vanarsdale, KY. This train is headed to Danville, Ky where it will turn South down the CNO&TP and then to the TVA Kingston TN power plant to unload.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

leroy

E. M....

The 61R shot on the bridge is my favorite.... Great composition....

Keep up the good work...
leroy
leroy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk