Author Topic: Rising Cost of Models  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Michael Knight

• Hoff
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
Rising Cost of Models
« on: December 30, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »
What did a dollar used to buy? Each year, the answer is increasingly more than the present. The cost of model railroading has skyrocketed in recent years. R-T-R, pre-assembled models featuring detail never before imagined, and unique models of rolling stock make it an exciting time to be a collector or hobbyist, but this is also an expensive time. Price increases seem to come year after year with the re-release of each past product or with production of entirely new models.

Has the increasing cost of model railroading put your model railroad out of business?

Are you scaling back your layouts or purchases?

Are you being more creative in financing your collections?

Are your supplier decisions based more on price than in years past?

Let's discuss this issue.

Offline thpbears

• Global Moderator
  • Old Head
Re: Rising Cost of Models
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
I have to admit all we have here are Hobbytowns and they do have paint and things but they no way compare to a good old fashioned train store. I have found that Ebay has train items well below what the chain stores offer so that's where almost all of my items come from. The train shows I go to have some good deals but then some items are even higher than the box stores. Now there are a few huge on line shops I have found that are even cheaper than Ebay prices. Try modeltrainstuff.com. I have been finding a lot of huge savings here. If you all know of better sites please pass them along.   I have noticed a huge difference in the prices going up  and I am afraid that will keep most new comers away which will in time hurt us all. Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:13:14 AM by thpbears »

Offline Badhorse79

• Old Head
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:29:54 AM »
Walthers and Horizon have made a huge monopoly out of this hobby $300 for a loco and rtr $45 cars have all but shut down the detail parts companies ! Ill take a blue box athearn loco with $50 in detail parts any day over a $100-$200  "cookie cutter" RTR loco you have to modify to the road specs anyway ! I guess im old school born n raised on kits and building things thats the true meaning to me about this hobby my opinion of course .... these days everyone wants it now without effort ! The down fall is hurting this hobby big-time with online stores and ebay having everything you need ... other than joining a club or group theres no involvement with your models which I think is a big value needed to enjoy model railroading !!

Thats my rant lol

Offline thpbears

• Global Moderator
  • Old Head
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
Have to agree Badhorse its building it and the companionship you have while you are taking a piece of plywood and making something that everyone will just stare and watch as we all did when we were little kids imagining that we were at the throttle of that loco going down the track. Welcome back on here Badhorse.

anything