Main Menu

Southern GP18 #184H

Started by SOU91, December 29, 2014, 08:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOU91

I recently won an undecorated Proto 2000 GP18 with non-dynamic brakes on ebay. I used a few months doing research on the original Norfolk Southern GP18's that Southern raised the short hood on and designated long hood forward. There was also a air filter hatch added that I will scratch build from .040 stryrene.

Here is a link to my prototype.

http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/gp18/184b.jpg

To get started I filled the factory sunshade holes with Bondo glazing putty.

Here is the cab roof filled and a 1/16 hole drilled where the factory horn goes and filled with 1/16 styrene.

Next I filled the gap in the door with .010 x .040 stryrene strip. It's not really nessessary, but it makes for a better looking model.

Then I turned my attention to the factory grab iron and eye bolt holes. I glued .015 styrene to the inside of the shell.

I also filled the cut bar and MU hose holes. I opened the holes up with a #72 drill bit to accept a .025 rod. I did this on both ends.

I let the glue set up over night, then trimmed the rods. sanded flush and drilled #80 holes for the grab irons and eye bolt.

This is as far as I've gotten. I had to have an emergency appendectomy Saturday night.
William
Modeling Southern Railway 1975-1980

thpbears

leroy

leroy

SOU91

Thanks for the compliments guys. After a brief chat with Southern locomotive guru Bob Harpe, he pointed out a few differences of the prototype. The model I have is correct for one of the factory high hood equipped units. The former Norfolk Southern GP18's having their short hoods raised to high hoods has a different batter box setup.

So after that discussion I've changed my prototype to the Ex Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia unit 179.

So without further ado here is more progress.

I used a Plano Models Southern GP30 high hood bell bracket with a Utah Pacific bell I had on hand. I don't think it came out too bad considering its my first attempt at the Plano bell. I also drilled the hole for my firecraker antenna.

After accidentally damaging my walk way beyond repair I found a cheap GP18 on ebay and stripped the walkway. I then filled the holes for the factory pilot details.

I got some more work done to my GP18. I installed a set of Atlas SD24 fans, Detail Associates exhaust stacks, P2K grille shutters, Plano grills and a Details West Firecracker antenna. There are still a few things I need to do add are the Cal Scale M5 horns, sunshades, wind deflectors and drilling for the various hoses and other pilot details. Then its off to the Chattanooga shops for paint.

I boxed in the coupler pocket with a bit of .040 styrene, added the "plate" that was added after the ban of the footboards. I also notched to corners of the pilots per the prototype. I will add a Details West coupler buffer plate, then add the last of the delicate parts.

William

lwjabo

The only GP18 I remember came off the OLD NS. There may have been more but never saw them. They did not have a high nose but Southern changed them. From memory they were given numbers starting with 2880. The 2879 came from the TAG.

SOU91

Quote from: lwjabo on May 14, 2015, 11:22:26 PM
The only GP18 I remember came off the OLD NS. There may have been more but never saw them. They did not have a high nose but Southern changed them. From memory they were given numbers starting with 2880. The 2879 came from the TAG.

The units you are thinking of are GP38's. There were GP18s from CofG 171-178 TAG 178 and NS 180-196.

I haven't been able to make any progress on this project due to work and school.
William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk