Alexandria Va. 1978

Started by AFT2101, December 28, 2014, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFT2101

I snapped this pic of Southern 6147 at the Alexandria, Va., station in 1978. It was late afternoon and I want to say this was the Southern Crescent, but am not sure. And I don't remember if 6147 was a FP7 or designated as something else.

E.M. Bell

Great pic, we would love to see more! 

That unit is a FP7.. I don't think I have ever seen a picture of the crescent with anything but an E8 leading.. You might have something sorta rare.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

AFT2101

I wonder if Southern had any other passenger trains departing Washington, D.C. in late afternoon in those days?  It has been so many years ago that I can't remember and I didn't keep good notes, sad to say.

GP30Rider

Any idea what the date was on this photo?

AFT2101

Quote from: GP30Rider on December 29, 2014, 06:16:36 AM
Any idea what the date was on this photo?

I have 1978 on back of pic and I remember it being late afternoon on a hot summer day.  Most likely August.

GP30Rider

If it was summer then it isn't any kind of special move associated with the wreck at Elma, Virginia.  And the Piedmont was long gone by the summer of 1978.  Given the head end car (and the fact that it is not a dormitory car which normally went on the headend of the Southern Crescent) and what appears to be a Budd Coach right behind it, this just about has to be some sort of special move.  On rare occasions you might see a section of the Crescent but that usually happened more around Christmas time and I'm not sure it would happen in 1978 either.  Got any other photos that would show the rest of the train?  The presence of a dining car, sleeping car, or office cars might also tell part of the story.  

florida581

Amtrak began operations in 1971.  How much longer did Southern run their own equipment on the Crescent after 1971?
Andrew

AFT2101

Quote from: florida581 on December 29, 2014, 11:16:24 AM
Amtrak began operations in 1971.  How much longer did Southern run their own equipment on the Crescent after 1971?

I think Southern ran the Crescent until 1979.

AFT2101

Quote from: GP30Rider on December 29, 2014, 09:49:54 AM
If it was summer then it isn't any kind of special move associated with the wreck at Elma, Virginia.  And the Piedmont was long gone by the summer of 1978.  Given the head end car (and the fact that it is not a dormitory car which normally went on the headend of the Southern Crescent) and what appears to be a Budd Coach right behind it, this just about has to be some sort of special move.  On rare occasions you might see a section of the Crescent but that usually happened more around Christmas time and I'm not sure it would happen in 1978 either.  Got any other photos that would show the rest of the train?  The presence of a dining car, sleeping car, or office cars might also tell part of the story.  

I'll look thru my stack of pics and see if I have more.

GP30Rider

Southern turned the Crescent over to Amtrak on February 1st of 1979 however much of the equipment remained on the train until late in the year.  The ownership of some was transferred to Amtrak while some of it was sold to other railroads and various other parties.  None of the E-8's went to Amtrak.  I have copies of some of the sales records on the cars much of which is dated in early 1980.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk