Vintage EMDs and Alcos in the suburbs of Rochester, NY

Started by Matt L, November 20, 2014, 07:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Back at the beginning of October, I had to make a decision about a vacation day this month- should I pick Friday 11/14 or 11/21? Well, unless you've been living under a rock, we ll know tomorrow will NOT be a good to be trackside in upstate NY. The heavy snow in Buffalo continues to be a bottleneck. Fortunately, I chose last Friday (11/14) to spend with trains right here in the Rochester area.

The primary subject of my photography was the Rochester & Southern. I intended to chase local GW1 down to a salt mine, but the train didn't run that day. However, I did catch local BL1 returning from a run to Leroy and Pavillion.

Lead unit #50 is ex-Conrail:

The train operated pull-pull, with GP40 #3101 brining up the rear:

Local BL1 Entering the Brooks Avenue Yard:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 11/14/2014 at the Beahan Road crossing in Chili, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

A distant EMD (possibly #3101 again) switches the Rochester & Southern's Brooks Avenue Yard:

Road freight RS2 returns from interchanging with NS at Silver Springs. BTW, #879 is ex-N&W!

GP40 #3107 is ex-NYC:

GP40 #104 is ex-NYC/PC/Conrail:

GP 38-3M #2030 is lettered for sister railroad Buffalo & Pittsburgh. GWI shortlines often swap power:

GP40-2 #3032:

Entering Brooks Avenue Yard:

The log flat car brought up the rear:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 11/14/2014 in Chili, NY at the Beahan Road crossing. 

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR also sent out their local that day. I caught their pair of Alco C425s at several locations, including the former Rochester Branch of the Lehigh Valley RR.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 11/14/2014 at the Jefferson Road crossing in Henrietta, NY.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk