Pedestrian struck by train in Johnson City

Started by thpbears, October 26, 2014, 07:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thpbears

Johnson City police officers said a pedestrian was killed after he was struck by a passing train this afternoon near the Mountain Home Veterans Affairs facility.

Police said the man was walking along the section of railroad track that runs between West State of Franklin Road and Mountain Home Drive before he was struck by the train.

The train remained stopped across the Mountain Home Drive crossing while emergency personnel responded at the scene.

The pedestrian's identity was not released, but an officer at the scene said he may have been homeless

More updates as they become known.

thpbears

Johnson City Police told News Channel 11 they are investigating the death of a man who was hit and killed by a train in Johnson City Sunday.

The incident happened Sunday afternoon on the Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks near the Mountain Home VA. According to investigators, the man was walking westbound on the tracks when he was hit.

Investigators believe the man was homeless, which is making it difficult to identify him and locate his next of kin.

We will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

leroy

Hate ta hear it... There seems to be a rash of these poor souls sittin on the tracks and getting killed... There have been several near misses down toward knoxville lately...

leroy
leroy

thpbears

Fireball would know better due to being from this area but seems if I remember there is a homeless camp for lack of a better term in this general area plus the college is right across the street. I see people constantly trespassing here. Sorry it happened for all involved.

leroy

The homeless thing is pretty bad right at Knoxville Yard and a bit to the north on the old Coster Passenger Main too... Lots of "down and out" pilgrims both places....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
leroy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk