Action at Attica Hill

Started by Matt L, October 21, 2014, 08:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

The fall colors are really popping in NY this year. This was very apparent when I spent several hours trackside with NS at Attica Hill 11 days ago.

Westbound 309 was the first arrival, and it had a BSNF unit trailing:

Remember when I said 8000+ HP was the norm for tackling Attica Hill in another post? Well, I guess NS didn't get the memo! Eastbound extra I06 charged up the hill with just a single Dash-9 for power. And yes, those auto racks were loaded. Go figure!

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 10/11/2014 at Spring Road (MP 389) in Alexander, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

While the lone GE did handle the train up Attica Hill, the speed was not very fast. Getting ahead of I06 to shoot it at MP 380 on the Southern Tier Mainline was easy.

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 10/11/2014 at Dale Road in Dale, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

After I06 passed, I headed back to Attica Hill and set up at Dry Bridge Road. (This is roughly MP 388 on the TIer.) Westbound 12T arrived early in the afternoon:

As 12T headed down the hill, I heard two horns. There was a meet somewhere west of my location, possibly even in Attica itself. Eastbound intermodal 22K came charging up the hill minutes later with a nice mix of NS and UP power.

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 10/11/2014 in Alexander, NY. This was my final sighting for the day, but not the month! More adventures are coming...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk