Old soldiers never die: ex-Conrail on ex-Conrail

Started by Matt L, October 16, 2014, 08:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I went down to chase the Finger Lakes Railway last week and guess what I saw? FGLK had purchased ex-Conrail #1943 from the Conway Scenic RR last year. Still wearing faded dress blue, the B23-7 has been assigned to Watkins Glen Division recently. This was a pleasant surprise. I had no clue FGLk had moved #2301 (another B23-7) off this duty. As it so happen, the Watkins Glen Division was Conrail's Watkins Glen Secondary from 1976 to 1995. The result was a nostalgic chase- I felt like I had stepped back in time.

FGLK HW2 heading southbound at Fir Tree Point Road in Rock Stream, NY:

Switching at US Salt in Reading, NY:

For the entire chase, from 8:30 AM to 4 PM, as well as some yard shots in Geneva, please visit my slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2014/Oct%202014/1010%20FGLK

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 10/10/2014 in central New York.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

Matt L

Thank you! The Finger Lakes Railway rosters several former Conrail B23-7s but #1943 is the only one still in dress blue... as #1989 was recently repainted. The rest of the ex-CR B-boats were repainted into FGLK's NYC heritage scheme years ago.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk