Dispatcher to Train Crew Communication

Started by AFT2101, October 13, 2014, 01:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFT2101

I hear the Dispatcher give train crews their orders/authorization to proceed from position ""x" to milepost "xyz" with block 1, 3, and 6 checked or any combination checked.  Then the train crew repeats the order back, quite rapidly most of the time. Does the train crew have a computer screen onboard that they are reading from, or is their memory that good?

Railroadguy

They use a track warrant form where they fill in the blanks.. its pretty simple

AFT2101

Quote from: Railroadguy on October 13, 2014, 02:03:06 PM
They use a track warrant form where they fill in the blanks.. its pretty simple

The train crew has a hard copy?

Railroadguy

D300

Train crew is not given a copy, but rather they fill out a form with blanks in the correct places from the info the DS reads off, then a quick read back to confirm everything is exactly correct.

NSSpike

Shown below are just two examples of a Track Warrant blank form. As the dispatcher reads off what boxes are "Checked" and other specific information, the requesting party completes the form. Then they read back the applicable sections they filled out to the dispatcher. All track warrants issued by the dispatcher are in the system with the requesting party retaining a "hand written" copy. All Track Warrants issued must be cleared by both the requesting party and the dispatcher before any trains or persons can use the said section of tracks.

Any corrections / clarifications or additions are welcomed.
NSSpike
CDDX
MP680.6

Railroadguy

What I meant was a hard copy of the blank form

billworsham

Somewhere in this forum there is a Norfolk southern track authority document. .try a search of the forum

AFT2101

tah1015613

Quote from: AFT2101 on October 13, 2014, 01:31:53 PM
I hear the Dispatcher give train crews their orders/authorization to proceed from position ""x" to milepost "xyz" with block 1, 3, and 6 checked or any combination checked.  Then the train crew repeats the order back, quite rapidly most of the time. Does the train crew have a computer screen onboard that they are reading from, or is their memory that good?

The Positive Train Control introduction manual for crews has examples of an in cab screen showing a simplified GPS type image but I don't know how that will happen with every locomotive in the projected time frame.
I wonder if it's something programmed into existing screens ?  Problem with that idea is not every locomotive already has desk console screens or even a desk control stand while some only have them on the engineer side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk