Author Topic: Sub lettering FTA's  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

• Old Head
  • PAL Hogger
Sub lettering FTA's
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:32:33 AM »
I recently acquired two southern tuxedo painted FTA's without rd numbers, searching thru some archives I found about three or four different number series I can use on these. Some were A&EC, cnotp, and ags, but no picture I have found of the real units shows sub lettering which I would like to use, I can make out something in these pictures near the rear of the units that I guess could be what I'm looking for but the image quality won't let me be sure of it. Did they actually sub letter these in those days? If so where at on the car body?

"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Offline NSMoWandS

• Old Head
Re: Sub lettering FTA's
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
If you look at this pic...
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/ft/sou6100b.html
You can see the sub lettering at the rear of the unit under the radiator screens. Hope this helps.
DE Dan

• Old Head
  • PAL Hogger
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
Yeah I gotcha, that's what I could see in the photo I found but the image was so poor I really wasn't sure, thanks!
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Offline NSMoWandS

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
No problem... also, I think you know this(by your original post) but, just in case, there were 3 number series... one series for each RR/sub RR. 41xx for Southern, 61xx for CNOT&P. 68xx for A&EC. DE Dan

• Old Head
  • PAL Hogger
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »
Well after investigating all my decals I noticed in my sub letter section on one page there were CTC letters so needless to say I defied logic and sub lettered them that way lol. I'm tickled with the outcome too.

anything