1071 leading 23G

Started by Ed Fury, September 09, 2014, 09:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

Got trackside pretty early today after hearing 23G get the clear to "pull 'em around" on the scanner.

First up was T79 running out to the mixing center.

T79 by vampirolepis, on Flickr

I headed over to Whitner to get 23G before they started the long process of building their train in Buechel.

NS 23G by vampirolepis, on Flickr

A couple shots of them starting to build the train.

After about an hour 23G clears Buechel.

Heading back home I actually caught back up to 23G. That itself is so rare I decided to try and get back in front of them for another shot. I heard on the scanner that 375 and 168 were headed West. So I knew I'd catch 23G again at the Tucker Siding.

Sun on the wrong side of the engine made me decided to catch it further East. I caught 375 coming West then left. Of course after I left I was informed a photo session broke out with people getting their photos taken in front of the heritage unit. I'm not even mad. I want to see the trains and take photos of trains. I've seen myself in the mirror enough times I don't need no photo to know what I look like.

375 comes around the curve at Tucker.

NS 375 by vampirolepis, on Flickr

I'd barely made it back out on the road before I heard 168 calling signals. I knew I had to get back to the track fast or I'd miss that train. So I turned behind a church and caught them rolling by.

NS 168 by vampirolepis, on Flickr

NS 168 by vampirolepis, on Flickr

Ed Fury

After 168 went by I stopped at the McDonald's for lunch and took off for Fisherville just East of the Pope Lick Trestle.

By the time I parked the car and opened the door I heard the mp 293 defect detector go off. That meant another Westbound train. T79 returned from the mixing center with a long train. Really long for a mixing center run. There were tanks cars, hoppers, and a very long section of autoracks. Of course I could barely get my lens cap off and shoot across the street and guardrail.

T79 by vampirolepis, on Flickr

Figuring 23G would be along shortly I was once again caught off guard by the 293 detector and the scanner went off saying 27A clear Fisherville.

NS 27A by vampirolepis, on Flickr

I realized I could barely fit an engine and a half in a frame with that lens. Time to go wide angle when I heard NS 112 get a track warrant from mp 308 to Tucker. Making the 5th westbound train.

NS 112 by vampirolepis, on Flickr

I thought I had also heard an i17 (eye) called West. And wouldn't you know it. 23G comes from behind headed East. Just when you think you've gotten smart to their ways. The RR says not so fast sucker. We have another curve ball to throw your way.

23G at Fisherville. Just got my lens changed in time.

This is why I had to shoot for the third time a 3/4th wedge shot of 23G. Frustrating. But you work with what you got.

NS 23G dpu by vampirolepis, on Flickr

And with the dpu going by I decided I'd had enough and went back home.

NS 23G dpu by vampirolepis, on Flickr

Pulled in to my driveway and heard NS 285 get a warrant with a BNSF leader. By the time I was on the couch I heard the horn blast for the crossing up there street. There's always tomorrow.

VirginiaSouthern

An excellent series of photos, Ed! Thanks for sharing.
Tommy Warshaw
Click here to see my photos on Flickr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk