Author Topic: Canadian parked near Burnside today; and one unusual item--PTS-62  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Bill Richardson

• Old Head
   I went to the Burnside/Tateville area this morning and checked the usual places.  There was work being done to the crossing at the Burnside office, and no trains there.  I next went to the tracks by the Antioch Church Rd., and found some trains parked there.  One had a red Canadian Pacific in front, and it was out front of the other train.  There may have been a third train hidden on the other side.  Just as I got out to start making some photos, an unusual piece of equipment came rolling south.  I grabbed one photo of that, and later got some better ones.  I made a bunch of photos of the Canadian.  That is the first time I have seen one parked, and that was a nice surprise today.  Some days are duds, and some have interesting things to see and photograph.  There was an SD70ACE there also.  This is the same place where I found the New York Central parked, not long ago.

CP-8529---NS-1096---NS-6756

CP-8529

Next I went to "General".  Just as I got there the unusual powered vehicle marked PTS-62 came rolling up to the crossing.  The gates went down, and I had to back up and park by the road.  I walked up to see if there was anything on the tracks, but they were empty.  The PTS unit parked just before the crossing, and stayed there.  I saw a bunch of track work going on, with different equipment.  Trains were stopped this morning because of track work evidently.  I made a couple photos of the PTS unit and then left the area.

PTS-62

---------------------------------------------------
Wednesday--  Here is a photo of the other side of this PTS-62.  I don't know what it is; haven't looked it up yet.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:05:15 PM by Bill Richardson »

Offline NSMoWandS

• Inactives
  • Old Head
Re: Canadian parked near Burnside today; and one unusual item--PTS-62
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »
Nice! Last time I saw a PTS-62 she was in very faded safety green and very rusty! Looks good when painted! LOL! DE Dan

Offline E.M. Bell

• Founder & CEO of Jreb.org
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
    • http://www.jreb.org
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
Dan, what is that thing anyway...a switch tamper??   I have seen it around here before, but never got a close up look. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline NSMoWandS

• Inactives
  • Old Head
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »
EM, it is a Dynamic Track Stabilizer. It can stabilize, shift and gage the track while in motion... although, when working on the track structure... they do not go over 1-2mph. Have some commonalities with a switch tamper. DE Dan