Author Topic: How about a pair of Alco C425s?  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
How about a pair of Alco C425s?
« on: August 13, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »
When I was young 'un, Alco Centuries were plentiful on the Class 1 RRs in the Northeast. EL, LV and PC and lots of then. Times have changed, of course, and Alcos are no longer seen on the big RRs these days. However, they can still be seen on a number of shortlines in the Northeast. One such operation is the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR. It is a paradise for Alco fans. Some of you may recall LA&L C425 #425 (ex-CR/PC/NH) from previous chases I have shared. On this particular trip, she was paired with another C425- a rare but highly enjoyable sight for yours truly.

The day began shortly after sunrise at the LA&L enginehouse in Lakeville. From left to right: RS36 (ex-NKP/N&W) #418,high nose C420 (ex-LIRR) #420 and C425 #425.   

Once the train was assembled, the pair of C425s led it northbound. This location in Conesus Junction in the Town of Livonia:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/25/2014 in Livingston County, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
Re: How about a pair of Alco C425s?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »
LA&L C425 is an ex-SP&S/BN/FEC unit. She led the train northbound. This train is approaching East River Road:

Number 425 was the trailing unit, of course:

the train crosses the Genesee River:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/25/2014 in Brighton, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »
After interchanging with the Rochester & Southern RR and CSX, the LA&L local headed back southward again.

Much of the afternoon was spent watching the train switch in the Village of Avon:

Passing the former Erie RR/EL depot in the Village of Avon:

I ended the chase at the Papermill Road crossing in the Town of Avon:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/25/2014 in Livingston County, NY. A special thanks goes out to the employees of Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR for their professionalism and friendliness. If you are an Alcophile (like me), you should make a trip to upstate NY. The LA&L is worth the effort!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:30:41 PM by Matt L »

Offline blacksheep

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:13 PM »
I didn't know they had young 'uns up north. Thought you guys had children.

Offline leroy

• Inactives
  • Old Head
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:26:32 AM »
I'm like you... I love these old Alcos... They are a great machine... Thanks for takin the time to post these great pictures... I think that the front nose lines and the "face' of a low hood alco is the greatest of locomotive "faces"... 

Remember this; GE learned what it knows today about diesel engines from Alco... It's, indeed, fiting that "ALCO" stands for the American Locomotive Works...

Leroy, the Alco affectionado
leroy

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »
I didn't know they had young 'uns up north. Thought you guys had children.

Some southern terms like young 'uns are used in the Northeast. too... especially in rural areas.

I'm like you... I love these old Alcos... They are a great machine... Thanks for takin the time to post these great pictures... I think that the front nose lines and the "face' of a low hood alco is the greatest of locomotive "faces"... 

Remember this; GE learned what it knows today about diesel engines from Alco... It's, indeed, fiting that "ALCO" stands for the American Locomotive Works...

Leroy, the Alco affectionado

You're welcome. I agree with your comments 100%. In addition to the classic lines, the distinctive chi-CHUG of an Alco just can't be beat.

Offline Bill Richardson

• Old Head
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
It's always interesting to see some different locomotives, different models, different colors.  I spent around 45 minutes at the Danville yard yesterday, and saw only one train, and left right after that.  It had two of the usual engines. One was a UP, but one of the usual models.  That one had no flag.

Offline E.M. Bell

• Founder & CEO of Jreb.org
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
    • http://www.jreb.org
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »
We say YALL they say YOUINS, but a youngin is a youngin!

Matt, if I had something like that to shoot around here, I might do something besides shoot NS all that time.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline etalcos

• Inactives
  • Old Head
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:38:41 PM »
I know where there was a C-420 pulling freight South of the Ohio and East of the Mississippi this week, and within comfortable driving distance of JREB world headquarters...

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:19 PM »
Matt, if I had something like that to shoot around here, I might do something besides shoot NS all that time.

Ya know, I really am blessed up here. Sure, I wish NS was a little busier on the Southern Tier Mainline... but I also have a bumper crop of shortlines within a 3 hour drive from my house. Classic Alcos, older GEs, vintage EMDs and even Whitcombs... there is something for everyone in upstate NY.  8)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:31:34 PM by Matt L »

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »
I was out chasing the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR again last week... with the C425s paired up again. Mind you, the LA&L has an ex-NKP RS36 and an ex-LIRR high nose C420... but the C425s seems to be the preferred pairing these days. I'll be glad to share a few highlights.

1. Morning switching in the Village of Avon:

2. Coming off the the bridge over the Genesee River at State Route 383 in Chili:

3. Pausing at Barilla Drive the Village of Avon, next to the Bailla pasta plant (which makes me hungry):

All photos taken by me Friday 12/19/2014 in upstate NY.