Author Topic: A very rare N&W survivor and a NYC Alco on home rails  (Read 3367 times)

Online Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
A very rare N&W survivor and a NYC Alco on home rails
« on: July 04, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »
I was driving out to photograph a band last weekend, when I called an audible. A quick detour to the engine house and station of the Ontario Midland RR led me to #408:

The ex-N&W unit is a rare high nose Alco RS36:

Number 408 was not alone. OMID #3 is a a former New York Central S4. which is pretty cool IMO. Why? This ROW is part of the former New York Central Hojack Line.

Also, #408 wears the same number she had while working for the N&W.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 6/27/2014 in Sodus, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Online Matt L

• Old Head
Re: A very rare N&W survivor and a NYC Alco on home rails
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »
Deja vu! RS36 #408 was in the engine house when I visited the Ontario Midland RR in June, but she was outside again on a visit this month. 

S4 #3 was still sitting on the spur- I don't think she has moved in the past year.

Number 408 also had a ballast car (I think?) behind her.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 8/7/2015 in Sodus, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Online Matt L

• Old Head
Re: A very rare N&W survivor and a NYC Alco on home rails
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »
A little over a year later, I found OMID's other N&W unit outside the engine house. Number 36 is an RS11, which is a bit more common than the RS36 unit. Regardless, it's nice to know these old Alcos are still working.

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 8/27/2016 in Sodus, NY.