Author Topic: Strange sighting---NS-34 and Geometry Car  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Bill Richardson

• Old Head
Strange sighting---NS-34 and Geometry Car
« on: June 17, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »
    My wife and I went to Danville today.  I let her off at a store and then went to the train yard for a little while.  I went over to the north side of the station and office building.  There was a train with two UP engines parked, facing north.  I parked, and as I was getting my cameras out, I heard an engine rev up.  In a matter of seconds, that train started pulling out.  I grabbed a shot of the second unit just for the heck of it.  While the train accelerated and moved out, I got my cameras strapped on, and also pulled out a cookie to eat while I walked over to where I wanted to wait in the shade for something interesting to come along.

As I was walking, the end of the train that pulled out was in front of me.  Between the cars I suddenly saw a black engine of another train heading south.  Before the first train cleared out, I noticed what looked like a maroon engine behind the black engine, but it was odd looking.  Anything odd required a photo.  My digital camera was hanging from my shoulder, not turned on, and I still had a cookie in my right hand.  I hurriedly grabbed the digital and turned it on.  By then the first train was gone, and I could see that strange looking maroon engine in full, and what looked like an old passenger car behind it, but an extended version.  I had no idea what I was looking at.  I grabbed one photo.

NS-34 generator slug and geometry test car       "Geometry Train"

After I got home, I looked up NS-34 and found out a little about it.  Geometry train, it is called.  Engine referred to as a slug.  This was all new to me.

I was caught by surprise.  If it had been about a minute later, I probably would have been ready for a better picture.  As it was, it came in beside the tail end of the one leaving, and that blocked my view until the geometry train was on down the track a bit.  It went on through the yard I guess.  Didn't stop that I know of.

NS-34     This is a cropping of the photo above, only one I got.

There are plenty of photos of this NS-34 on the internet.  I can't call it an engine.  It isn't self-propelled any more.  One source I found said it was an SD9.  Anyway, it was interesting.  I wonder what will show up next, when I get out somewhere with a camera. 

Offline NSDash9

• Administrator
  • Old Head
    • NSDASH9.com
Re: Strange sighting---NS-34 and Geometry Car
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
NS has two active track geometry train sets.

The one you saw consists of NS Research 34 platform, which was built on the frame and trucks of what was originally N&W SD35 1530. It contains sensing and measuring equipment for track geometry and rail profile (rail wear), as well as the the power supply for itself and NS Research car 33, and is weighted to deflect the track. The Research 33 car contains the recording and processing equipment for the data supplied by NS 34.

The second set includes NS Research platform 38 "The Brick", which was rebuilt using the frame and trucks of former NS/NW EMD SD40 1620.  It is mated with NS Research car 36.  This pair works in the same manner as described with NS 34/33.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »
One of the geometry trains was on the Southern Tier Mainline over the weekend. A friend grabbed a shot of it in Hornell, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Offline Bill Richardson

• Old Head
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:13:09 PM »
    Thanks Chris for the information.  That is much more than what I found earlier while doing a little checking.  It is an odd looking piece of equipment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tracks are busy this Tuesday evening. I live about 400 yds. from the tracks, and I keep hearing trains.  Can't see them, with trees leafed out.  Makes me wonder what interesting items I'm missing.

Bill

Offline dschlegel

• Old Head
  • Beer+Trains=Happiness
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
Nice catch! The other geometry train ran across the Reading Line here in eastern PA yesterday and from what I understand was working in NJ today.
PA Dan

Offline butch

• Old Head
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:26:09 AM »
Good story
Butch Adkins
butch@email.uky.edu

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky