SD70M phase II round 3

Started by Badhorse79, June 03, 2014, 05:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

I've been working on a SD70M flare again this is the 3rd time around on this loco ! The DLH cab was a joke so I won a athearn genesis SD70M EMD demo unit now I have a chance to do it right , again .....

heres a link to the post of the first fix !

http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=11912.0

I used a Spartan cab SD70 to make the flare so the steps were incorrect having won the M i can swap sills to give the flare the correct step count also all I need is the cab of the Demo Unit and make a Fire Cab for the flare .... with that I am ordering cannon parts to make the Demo 70M into Spartan Cab 70 2501-2556 giving me the missing 70 I needed ! (If your lost itll all make sence in the End

First I cut off the nose and began to "cut n paste" the new nose into shape

Heres a side by side

Heres some of the finished cab ! Added the sand doors from the original nose ! Also modified the area where the original sill tapered in following the contours of the demo nose! On the fire cabs its even

The front of the cab over hangs

Now its right where it should be

Well thats the nose ... next I will be building the flares stay tuned

NSMoWandS

Nice work! The proto model you won... was it the new SD70M with flares from Athearn? DE Dan

Badhorse79

No it was just an old genesis 70M Maroon Demo

NSTopHat

Quote from: NSMoWandS on June 04, 2014, 02:06:39 PM
Nice work! The proto model you won... was it the new SD70M with flares from Athearn? DE Dan

Dan, the Phase II SD70M's from Athearn have yet to be released. In theory, those will be here in late October, 2014, maybe.....

Regards,
Russ

NSMoWandS

Thanks Russ. I got a little confused when BH wrote "demo". At first I thought he won a demo unit of the new ones coming up... afterwards, I realized "demo" was the paint scheme! LOL! DE Dan

Badhorse79

Badhorse79

Well here is the radiator section as promised

The housing

[/UR

[URL=http://s270.photobucket.com/user/badhorse79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140601_231258_zps5ry0gofl.jpg.html]

Here is the old grills I used before being modified to semi match the prototypes

Here they are on the housing .... note the lift tabs

The fun part was adding these lil fellas

The finished product

Then I added the top lift lugs spaced between the front fans the middle doesn't have em

Next up is the fans with cooling lines added ! That will complete the top then its on the the underframe and tank details

Thanks for looking
Eric

Badhorse79

Forgot to mention I will be trying my hands at archor rivet decals for the top of the housing section

NSMoWandS

Nice job on the lift tabs! Lookin' good! And, no worries on the confusion... I should have realized by the color of the unit! LOL! DE Dan

Badhorse79

Thanks those small details paid off I think .... Here's the finished rads .... Now to the tank and underframe

NSMoWandS

Nice! Are the little "knobbie" things around the top a detail part? Or did you use some brass wire or something? DE Dan

Badhorse79

That's brass wire .... Archer decals are nice but I lost every single one when I added the microset and I let them sit and dry like any other decal so I did it the easy way lol

I'll have a small Truck update here soon and my standard cab 70 posted up as well

NSMoWandS

The brass wire looks great! Also, adds that "3D" effect. I prob would have just used the wire to "dot" them on with silver paint... but, it wouldn't look nearly as good as yours. DE Dan

SOU91

Looks good. Sometimes it better to adapt and build your own if you have the means.
William
Modeling Southern Railway 1975-1980

Badhorse79

Thanks William , I agree ! Most of the time things aren't produced or are unavailable ....

Here's a lil truck update : I added break lines and the line that supplies them also added the big ol chain links that are attached to the truck and frame (I'm guessing that's in case of a derailment ?) Also each wheel has a set of chains so I'm in the stage of adding them too !

More to come

Thanks
Eric

Over all look !! The details definitely stand out

NSMoWandS

Nice work! When I get some time... I am going to have to go back and super detail some of my older units. DE Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk