Steam returns to the CNO&TP and First District

Started by Gage O'Dell, May 19, 2014, 04:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gage O'Dell

On Wednesday and Thursday, E.m, Tyler and myself (John joined Thursday) chased the Ferry Move from Tennessee to Northern Kentucky.. It was exciting for all of us to see steam on the districts we all know like the back of our hand. Even with diesels leading, it was still a historic moment since its been 20 plus years since an actual running Southern steam has operated on the CNO&TP. Below are just 2 pictures from the ferry move.

NS 957, with SOU 630 trailing, rolls past the cemetery in Tateville

Southern 630 arrives in Danville Yard

I stayed with Tyler at his house for the weekend and we chased the steam both days from Cincinnati to High Bridge and back. Nothing felt better than to see a steam engine leading on the CNO&TP. Now, without further ado, the steam photos!!

Saturday 5/17/2014

Cars line the tracks and people gaze up as SOU 630 blows thick black smoke into the air in Ludlow

SOU 630 works hard up the grade in Sadieville

SOU 630 leads the northbound trip past the searchlight signals in Wilmore

NS 957 and Southern 630 crosses over Eagle Creek Trestle near Sadieville

NS 957 powers around the S-curve in Sherman

NS 957 crosses over Second Trestle as it heads back to Ludlow

Southern 630 passes over top the CSX Yard Job in Cincinnati

Southern 630 and the Cincinnati Skyline

Sunday 5/18/2014
Sun, fog and steam.. NS 957 passes over the Ohio River Bridge as it heads to Ludlow to start the 2nd trip

NS 957 and SOU 630 power past the barn in Blanchett

A farmer stands in his field as he watches Southern 630 fly past Donerail

SOU 630 slows down to a brisk 15mph as it passes the searchlights at High Bridge

NS 957 passes over top Eagle Creek Trestle

After a quick crew change, NS 957 gets back underway as it passes under the searchlights in Erlanger

Thus ends the weekend of steam on the 1st District! If you want to see the rest, check out my Flickr >>https://www.flickr.com/photos/46459752@N08/

butch

The Sunday morning Ohio River shot is outstanding.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Gage O'Dell

chipallen16

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk