Author Topic: A Classic EMD Week on the Louisville District  (Read 669 times)

Offline E.M. Bell

• Founder & CEO of Jreb.org
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
    • http://www.jreb.org
A Classic EMD Week on the Louisville District
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
A few weeks ago, Mr. Wells and myself had been discussion how much things had changed on the RR in our hometown of Lawrenceburg, KY. We both grew up with a childhood deeply rooted in the Southern Railway, and the awesome people and power that we got to see on our after school trips to the depot.  4 axle EMD power was ALWAYS found on the local (along with the ever present SW1 for the LL branch), but my how times have changed.

The depot where we got so much education in practical railroading is now a farmers market on the other side of the county, those good Southern people that always had time to answer a kids questions and show you how it was done are all retired or gone to where ever god-fearing railroaders go for the last call.  The T-19 local still runs, but our pipe smoking mentor that ran it has long since retired, and now you are most likely to see a big Dash-9 or SD70Ace for power....not the standard issue GP38-2 that was always on that job in past years. It seems that now a 6 axle road engine can go into tracks that at one time would have been off-limits to them.. Maybe the track is better, maybe the newer engines can handle that light rail and sharp curves better, or may the RR just let those monsters find the weak spots and fix them once they are on the ground....

This past week, we had a little luck in the power dept. It doesn't happen very often anymore, but the local has a old N&W SD40-2 for power, and to put the icing on the cake we also had a work train running around all week with a Hotrod GP60..it doesn't get much better than that.  I managed to get out a couple of days after work and get a few pics, because this steak of "good" power wont last long I am sure. Much like Ron F., I am not a roster shooter for the most part, but sometimes it hard to turn down the chance.

Here are a few to wet your vintage EMD appetite. You can find them all and more at this link >>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/ns_ls_2014_eb

04/09/14

"Hotrod EMD" I can recall a time when Trio's of GP60's could be found on the point of trains like 229, 231, 251 and anything else that needed to get a lot of hot revenue up and down the road quick. They all but replaced the GP50's from that service (and yea...I grumbled about that to) and quickly became the go-to power for intermodals. Strong, Fast, Reliable and now themselves replaced by all of those look-alike big nose 6 axles we see today. NS 7713 finds herself in the lowly (yet important) work train power pool, seen here last week with a 98Z at Lawrenceburg, Ky.

"Ghost of the N&W" NS #6161, a former N&W SD40-2, brings the T-19 local through Avenstoke, Ky this evening under the gathering clouds. The 6161 is sporting a shiny new paint job, but thats about all that has changed since she moved the tonnage for the N&W. The lack of light was not all that big of a concern as Carmon & I stood there and listened to the train drop down the grade from Waddy with the dynamics howling and that pure N&W Rs5T horn echoing up and down the Benson Creek Valley, followed by a quick throttle up as the hogger notched her out for the climb to Alton...new paint does not hide real heritage or the increasingly rare sound of a bygone time.

NOT a old EMD, but a shot I though was worth sharing. Eastbound 111 works through the Benson Creek Dip at Avenstoke, KY (MP 323.0 on the Louisville District).  Avenstoke is one of those places far off the beaten path, a  place that you have to WANT to go to, and I was happy to see the new photo-op open up. A few months ago, that field was all grown up along the tracks...nice to see a new clearing (that will probably sprout up a new house or Two this summer)

Saturday 04/12/14

The local does not work on the weekends, and you can often get lucky and find the power spotted on the House Track at Lawrenceburg, KY. I found the 6161 spotted there in the perfect afternoon light, just begging for a portrait or Two...or Three.  

"Porters Meet All Trains" I dont always limit myself to roster shots, but when I do, you can bet there is a old EMD involved. NS 6161, a former N&W SD40-2 tied down in the Lawrencceburg, Ky  house track with a couple of reflection shots in the front lobby window of the Lawrenceburg Hotel across the street... The Hotel is hands down one of the oldest buildings still standing in town...the stories it could tell!

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline srman

• Old Head
Re: A Classic EMD Week on the Louisville District
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »
Great story and images Emmett.

Offline E.M. Bell

• Founder & CEO of Jreb.org
  • Administrator
  • Old Head
  • The EMD Hugger
    • http://www.jreb.org
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »
Thanks Joe. I know I am One to say this with all the miles I drive to go shoot stuff, but sometimes the best stories are right in your own back yard.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Offline Matt L

• Old Head
  • Norfolk Southern fulfills what DERECO started.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
Nice job, Emmett. Many of NS locals in upstate NY still operate with older power (SD40-2s, GP38-2s, standard cab Dash 8s/9s and the occasional GP40-2), but widecabs have handled some of the locals in recent years, too. I'm guessing that NS has to use them as the older power dwindles. 

One thing to remember- be thankful your hometown still has a RR. Not all railfans are so fortunate. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.